Highlighted
orlando1
Bronze

Inspiron 1525 - factory image restore problems (need help!)

Jump to solution
Hi all,

I have a problem with my Dell Inspiron 1525 I cannot solve... so please help me!!

My Windows Vista Home Edition crached while installing an update and now could not start anymore (I always receive that bad blue screen while starting), so I'd like to repair my laptop using the Dell factory image.

I'm following these steps ...with related problems

1.. I hit F8 while booting but there is no "Restore Dell factory image" entry or something like that (I even tried each entry one by one but nothing starting factory imagine restore).

2.. By booting with an Ubuntu live cd, I can see that there is a partition containing (amoung other files and folders) that image (<D>:\dell\image\factory.wim), and a Tools folder where there is imagex.exe and pcrestore.exe files

3..a.. Using a bootable usb pen drive containing a bootable dos version, I boot into the system. I also put into that usb pen, ntfspro.exe in order to read ntfs partition
   b.. I went into D:\Tools and run this command:
        > PCRestore.exe      --> but I received an error saying that this program cannot be run in dos mode
   c.. so I tried this one else (I read it here in Dell Forum):   
        > imagex /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\       --> but I received the same error as above, that is this program cannot be run in dos mode

4.. Moreover (and I think this is strange), I tried to boot with the operating system dvd shipped by Dell with the laptop: Windows starts loading but just after the (green) progress bar appears down the screen, it crashes again showing that bad blue screen!

Now I don't know what else I can do!!!!!!

.....please help me!!!

Is there a way to restore the laptop with the Dell factory image??

Thanks,
   Orlando
34 Replies

Re: Inspiron 1525 - factory image restore problems (need help!)

Jump to solution

orlando1,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

When you press F8 and at the menu choose the option that reads "Repair your Computer"  and follow the menu to restore the system.

This utility formats the operating system hard drive partition prior to restoring the factory image. This means data on that partition is deleted and cannot be recovered.

If you create a second partition with a third-party utility, Dell Factory Image Restore is not affected as long as the image partition is not removed.

0 Kudos
orlando1
Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi,

thank you for your answer but I already tryed that way but without success...

No entry of F8 menu and of "Repair your computer" menu let me access the restore factory image feature!

I read somewhere on Dell support that this feature could be not enabled for specific countries and/or specific system, and I suppose this is my case (Italy - Inspiron 1525)... unfortunately!!

Bye..

0 Kudos
Bilal09
Copper

Jump to solution

• Verify the modem or network cable is detached from the computer.
  •  

• Start the computer.
  •  

• When the Dell splash screen appears during startup, press <Ctrl> + <F11> and release them at the same time
  •   Note:           Press the key combination only once. If you press them more than once, a keyboard error occurs. Restart the computer and repeat the steps above.
    1. Click Accept when the Symantec|Dell Recovery Environment End User License Agreement screen appears. The Symantec Recovery Disk window appears displaying two options:

• Recover My Computer - Restores your computer to a backup point:
        1. Click Recover My Computer.
        2. When the Select Recovery Point window appears, click to select the recovery point from which you want to restore, and click Recover My Computer.
        3. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.
      • Recover My Computer to Original Dell Configuration - Restore your computer to its original Dell configuration:

1. Click Recover My Computer to Original Dell Configuration. The Recover My Computer Wizard window appears.
    2. Click Yes and press <Enter>.
    3. Click Yes when the Recover My Computer Wizard dialog box appears, and press <Enter>.
  • The Ghost32 window appears, and the restore process begins, which takes approximately 8 to 10 minutes to complete. When complete, the computer restarts.

0 Kudos
    orlando1
    Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi all,

it didn't work.... I was carefull to press Ctrl + F11 only once and release them at the same time... but never happened.

Is there another way to access the factory image recovery feature?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I am having the exact same issues as Orlando1.  I really hope someone can post a solution here soon.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Is there another way to access the factory image recovery feature?

Unfortunately not - no

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
    ppedersen
    Copper

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issues as Orlando & David!!  Don't get any restore/repair options with F11 or CTRL+F11.

0 Kudos
    ppedersen
    Copper

Jump to solution

I think I have it figured out. 

When I would hit CTRL+F11 I would get a screen with the "how should I start Windows screen" (Safe Mode, etc).  The last time I got this screen, I started in safe mode, then shut down properly.  When I powered it back up, I hit CTRL+F11 when the Dell logo appeared and it worked.  It's restoring my system as I write this.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
    BELL BOY
    Platinum

Jump to solution

orlando1

Assume your Inspiron 1525 was supplied with Windows Vista preinstalled?

You don’t mention what the original BSOD error message is?

Have you tried Recovery Environment using Windows Vista® DVD procedure Dell Support

Just some notes regarding Dell OEM preinstalled Windows & Factory Image Restore

Windows XP – it’s the Ctrl + F11 key function to boot to DSR factory image

Windows Vista – it’s the F8 key function to boot to ImageX format factory image

Vista (ImageX format) factory restore is not available on some computers purchased through an Express Upgrade promotion or a computer upgraded from XP version to Windows Vista

0 Kudos