Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2009 02:00

Inspiron 1525 - factory image restore problems (need help!)

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Dell Inspiron 1525 I cannot solve... so please help me!!

My Windows Vista Home Edition crached while installing an update and now could not start anymore (I always receive that bad blue screen while starting), so I'd like to repair my laptop using the Dell factory image.

I'm following these steps ...with related problems

1.. I hit F8 while booting but there is no "Restore Dell factory image" entry or something like that (I even tried each entry one by one but nothing starting factory imagine restore).

2.. By booting with an Ubuntu live cd, I can see that there is a partition containing (amoung other files and folders) that image ( : \dell\image\factory.wim), and a Tools folder where there is imagex.exe and pcrestore.exe files

3..a.. Using a bootable usb pen drive containing a bootable dos version, I boot into the system. I also put into that usb pen, ntfspro.exe in order to read ntfs partition
   b.. I went into D:\Tools and run this command:
        > PCRestore.exe      --> but I received an error saying that this program cannot be run in dos mode
   c.. so I tried this one else (I read it here in Dell Forum):   
        > imagex /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\       --> but I received the same error as above, that is this program cannot be run in dos mode

4.. Moreover (and I think this is strange), I tried to boot with the operating system dvd shipped by Dell with the laptop: Windows starts loading but just after the (green) progress bar appears down the screen, it crashes again showing that bad blue screen!

Now I don't know what else I can do!!!!!!

.....please help me!!!

Is there a way to restore the laptop with the Dell factory image??

Thanks,
   Orlando

7 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 04:00

>> Do you have a Driver & Utilities CD/DVD – if you do – did you boot from it, as suggested?

I booted this CD and it started the diagnostic (the same diagnostic as F12 + Diagnostic): I run again some tests and everything is ok

>> If you do & it works but Vista DVD doesn’t boot then only one thing left to eliminate – a damaged DVD – unusual but does happen???

>> Can you borrow an OEM Vista Home Edition DVD or test your DVD on another computer??

OEM Vista DVD works properly on other laptops, so I haven't a damaged dvd

>> Forget about accessing original factory image until you can resolve unbootable Vista DVD & thereby gain access to Vista Recovery Environment

I'm afraid, but you are right :-(

>> If it is 0x0000c1F5 – as questioned by fgslaw, then read this thread, it includes one possible fix for BSOD error code 0x0000c1F5 – but unfortunately with no feedback if it works? 

Yes, that's my BSOD error code too... and (as reported in that thread) it prevents from booting Vista either from HD, OEM dvd and VistaPE dvd.

I'll be following that thread and then I'll update you.

In any case, thanks for your patience!

1.1K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 21:00

You’re more than welcome, also checkout the MS KB article 946084

If it works, your feedback would be very helpful for other Forum members who may encounter the same problems  :emotion-21:

1.1K Posts

March 24th, 2009 08:00

orlando1

Excellent, well done just the sort of feedback help that others will look for  :emotion-21:    :emotion-21:

Bell Boy

August 7th, 2009 14:00

Are you saying that once you deleted that boot log file, suddenly your F8 menu (Vista Advanced Boot Options) displayed the Restore (repair) option that was not there before?

1.1K Posts

August 7th, 2009 18:00

Hi mramsey1971

Doubt if orlando1 will reply (last seen here March 24 2009)  :emotion-18:

Feedback quote “While booting press F8 and enter the System Startup Option, Choose Repair your computer

Appears to confirm above solution by Tom Karpowitz

(http://www.delmartian.com/nullpointers/workaround-for-stop-0x0000c1f5-0xc1f5-c1f5-bsod-clfs.sys-kb946084.html)

Did fix the BSOD error & restored the F8 key function (i.e. boot partition menu options)

As reported by Karpowitz, BSOD appears whenever Vista tries to mount the file system

If you read feedback comments in Karpowitz original post, most appear to be positive

Alternative workaround solutions are described in MS KB 946084        (April 2, 2008)

In summary, first checkout MS hotfix availability information

Or use one of the following methods (if applicable or even an acceptable solution)?

Method 1

If you have multiple disks installed & the disk on which the $TxfLog file is corrupted does not contain Windows Vista, then remove the offending disk from the computer

Method 2

If only one disk installed & you have access to XP or Windows 2000 installation media

Then boot from CD-ROM using above type media to format offending disk & then Clean Install Vista

5 Posts

October 7th, 2009 05:00

if all these are there and still the PCRESTORE.EXE is showing some error message and not working here we go..

1)insert a bootable windows vista dvd and boot from it.
2)when the installation dialog box appears click "install windows now" and proceed to format the C drive.
3) dont proceed with the installation. click cancel.
4)when cancelled, we will be taken back to the "install now" dialog box.
5)click on repair
6)a new dialog box appears in which there will be options for startup repair, full restore, command prompt etc
7)here click on command prompt.
8) in the command prompt you will be in some directory "w:\users\windows"
9) never mind what is showing there. just enter "cd.." without quotes and press enter
10)repeat this until u get to say"w:\"
11) here type "d:" and press enter (d: is your recovery drive. if it is some thing else, enter that letter)
12)in d:\ type "cd tools" and hit enter
13) in d:\tools type "imagex/apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\" without quotes and hit enter
14)this will apply the dell factory image automatically into your C drive. sit back and relax for 10 minutes.
15)installation will be completed and your DELL laptop will be restored to factory condition

but still the repair option will not be enabled in the advanced boot options which we get by pressing F8

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 18:00

worked perfect thx

1 Message

November 24th, 2010 07:00

This worked for me to! Thanks for the info!!

5 Posts

March 14th, 2012 10:00

also as well... when I reformat and try to install windows it says " there are no hard drives to be found"

5 Posts

I have a similar problem with my DELL 1525 - Intel Core 2 Duo.

I no when you press "F8" the Menu comes up for the repair or set to factory default..... But It doesn't on mine.... and when I always try to reformat with the windows disc - the laptop always shuts off when it gets to a certain point... now i'm not to sure why this laptop shuts off can it be because something in the BIO menu is conflicted? and I think you press the "DEL" button to get into the bios menu correct?

Please help?

Thank you

5 Posts

im assuming something in the bios menu needs to be changed?

March 14th, 2012 11:00

I would suggest Googling the error codes but any drive issues are probably bad sign.

5 Posts

as well... Ive did the diagnostics but the laptop always shuts off.... so doing a diagnostics is impossible at the moment. any suggestions??

5 Posts

as well I did a diagnostics and I got this error code 1) Error Code: 0146 and another code is 2000-0146 (something having to do with the hard drive? anyone body?? Help please

5 Posts

March 14th, 2012 19:00

hi madden27...the abnormal shut off of your laptop may be due to a hard drive bad sector...it happens when your laptop try to write on to the bad sector of your hard disk.. if it says there are no hard drives found, then try to reinstall using the original vista dvd or you can buy a brand new windows 7 and try installing it onto it by deleting all the partitions including the system reserved 100mb drive too... it may solve your "missing hard drive" issue... Error Code: 0146 shows a failing hard drive... backup all the data immediately connecting this hard drive to a pc as a slave drive using dedicated connectors so that atleast your data remains safe...you can check in youtube or google for tutorials on how to connect laptop hard drive to pc

No Events found!