Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2016 15:00

Inspiron 1720 reinstall disk?

I now own my brother's Inspiron 1720 laptop. He passed away in March. I wish to reinstall the OS but I do not have the disk. How can I get the reinstall disk?

It currently has Windows 7 Home Premium on it, so I would like to reinstall that, even though the label says Windows Vista Home Premium, so I would also like to find out how to upgrade it to that again.

I've tried several downloads of Vista and Win 7 with the product keys listed on the label to no avail.

Thank you so much!

11 Posts

June 13th, 2016 04:00

You can buy a Win7 disc from Amazon, it has another disc in the set with all the drivers on it.

Good luck

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 13th, 2016 06:00

The first thing you need to get is the 25 digit product key and Edition of Windows 7. If you can logon to the system install Berlarc Advisor which will get you the key. If you can also press [Windows] and [ r ] and type in msinfo32 and provide the OS Name, BIOS Version/Date and installed memory.

5 Posts

June 18th, 2016 15:00

I followed your directions and now have that info (below). I also have the Win 7 Home Premium product key (BelArc). Where can I find a download link for Win 7 Home Premium? I must say I've already tried this (and Vista with the product key on the label on the bottom of my laptop), but perhaps with a "wrong" version of Win 7 H.P.?

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Ver 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Dell: Inspiron 1720
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
T5250 @ 1.50GHz, 1500 Mhz, 2 Core(s)
2 Logical
BIOS A09, 7/11/2008

Phil

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 19th, 2016 00:00

Follow the instructions here to get the .iso from Microsoft's Techbench:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-7-8-1-and-10-direct-techbench-downloads/

Alternatively use a Windows 10 TH2 .iso instead:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

Windows 10 TH2 will accept the Windows 7 Product Key.

5 Posts

June 19th, 2016 09:00

Hey Philip:

I visited TechBench. Saw the four Win 10 links. Went to your site and tried (Chrome and Firefox) the first script - error: "cannot assign innerHTML to null object". Found and tried the next script (WZor). No go. Found this third script, which worked:
windows_10_tech_bench_upgrade_program_hack.js

I downloaded:

Win7_HomePrem_SP1_English_x32.iso (2,564,476,928 bytes) and used Rufus to created a bootable USB thumb drive. Booted on it... installation going great... got to the product key, and once again, it says it's invalid. I've typed it in very carefully a dozen times.

KeyFinder, BelArc, and a vbs program I found ALL confirm the exact same Windows Product Key for my current Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Ver 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 install.

Darn! So close! What can I do now?

I appreciate your quick replies, and this forum!
Phil

5 Posts

June 19th, 2016 11:00

My Dell 1720 laptop came with "Vista Home Premium OEMAct". I am sure this Win 7 HP is an "upgrade" and that's why my BelArc/KeyFinder product key won't work. However, I can't find a Vista ISO to start with, so that I can then upgrade to Win 7 HP. Can you provide me a download link for "Vista Home Premium OEMAct"? I'll gladly try that route.

You can see the (redacted) label here:
phactor.com/pmh1720label.jpg

Thanks!
Phil

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 20th, 2016 02:00

For an upgrade only key, install Windows 7 without the product key (skip the product key) to initiate a 30 day trial. Then input the key and activate via the command prompt. See here for details (Part 6 variant C):

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/windows-7-installation/

If you still can't activate, take the 10130 Upgrade Path:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-xpvista-%e2%86%92-windows-10-free-upgrade/

Windows Vista is pretty much at End of Life and no longer downloadable from Microsoft.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 12:00

Nice. Regarding Office 2010 try to use Microsoft Phone Activation...

5 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 12:00

Success!

I was able to register Win 7 after-the-fact in a command prompt, following your guidelines. After a couple of days of Windows Update, it finally says "no more updates".

My only other problem is while trying to reinstall Office 2k10, it said I had used the license too many times. BUMMER! I searched on-line and I'm gathering I have no options but to spend more money?

Thank you for all your help!
Phil

No Events found!