Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2017 23:00

Inspiron 3531, July 2014, Windows 8.1, Reset

Sister-in-law is having trouble with her laptop. Forgotten Power On password. rror code- 296f3C5E5EC49DE2.  Please advise on how to reset this machine.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 7th, 2017 12:00

gallowaysid,

Contact Dell Tech Support for assistance.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 8th, 2017 02:00

Thank you for your message.

Do you get the message for a bios password or the hard drive password?

For better assistance, please click on my Dell username & share the service tag along with the registered name & email address. Once we verify the account, we will assist you with the master password.

August 8th, 2017 13:00

Inspiron 15-3531.  Service Tag: .  Express Service Code: .  Sid Galloway/ .  Power On Password forgotten (put in place by a nincompoop).  Master Password gotten from Dell Telephone Support (1FF797E8) attempted while on phone with support did not work.  Support advised to purchase new motherboard.  New motherboard price quoted at $257.00..... She bought this non-performer new for $249.00 USD.    A newer, better machine can be had at a cheaper price.  With the performance sister-in-law has had with this machine, the ONLY reason I will advise her to stick with this machine is if Dell can advise on how to fix this without the extravagant expenditure.

August 8th, 2017 16:00

Motherboard removed.  Please advise on location of BIOS chip.

August 8th, 2017 23:00

Resolved on my own.  Thanks..... Found schematic online for the LA-B481P motherboard.  Located the BIOS chip using flashlight and magnifying glass.  Used bent paperclip to short the leads on the chip.  Holding flashlight with my mouth, I jumped from left to right side of chip in numerous positions while repeatedly hitting the power button.  After some time (15-20 mins.) the Enter Startup Password box simply disappeared.  I figured I had nothing to lose, since my new motherboard will be here Friday.  Now I can return the new board and spend the $85 (Ebay price, NOT Dell) on an 8GB RAM chip.

1 Message

November 15th, 2018 05:00

Quick question: Did you leave the power cable and/or batteries (CMOS or Lithium ion) in the laptop while you did the jumping and power button pushing? 

No Events found!