CTG_8273
2 Iron

Inspiron 3558 Windows 7

I purchased an Inspiron 15 3558 with Windows 7 Professional. It took an act of congress to even get Windows 7. One sales agent said I needed a business name. He was going to do my name .LLC . I was going to do that and my father advised me not to. So I didn't I searched and searched for a Windows 7 model. Finally I got back on chat and luckly the right sales agent who was willing to make a sale got me set up with Windows 7. I did not want Windows 10 right yet because of some conflicts we would have. Anyway got the system and there was no Windows 7 Recovery DVD only a Windows 10. But Windows 7 was installed but no C.O.A for Windows 7 at all nowhere not even under the battery. About a week ago the system would not boot we have had it a few weeks. We haven't installed much so I decided to factory restore. I get to F8 repair then choose Factory Image. I get an error no image found. So I contact Dell to get a recovery sent. They told me I had to download the recovery. I was unable to download it. It took another act of congress to get them to agree to send me a Windows 7 DVD. Why is it so hard for them to send a recovery for an OS I paid for? Also they told me there was no drivers disk also there was no webcam software installed or DVD and burning software was not installed. Dell is really getting slack really slack they sound allot like Acer/Gateway these days stubborn and greedy. I got the OS DVD I am just concerned about the COA issue. Is this normal now? The invoice saids Windows 7 with Windows 10 License but there is no COA at all for either OS.

0 Kudos
9 Replies

RE: Inspiron 3558 Windows 7

CTG_8273,

The COA is tied to the motherboard on your Dell Computer. You can click the link below for more information.

New Dell systems shipping with Windows 7 may not have a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA) ...

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Microsoft are phasing Windows 7 out and as such make it harder for OEMs to sell Windows 7 machines especially with systems on the Home sector... Dell do much better regarding software support for the Business sector.

You have a system that has a Windows 10 Pro UEFI BIOS SLP key and thus utilises OEM Downgrade rights to Windows 7 Pro. Dell Windows 7 Pro OEM utilises a generic system locked preinstallation key essentially a Dell BIOS based activation mechanism - activation only occurs on eligible Dell hardware.

Dell usually have a download option for 2016 Business systems sold with Windows 7 Pro:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/OSISO 

I'm not sure if it'll be available for your Home system. It sounds like it may have really been a special case with Windows manually installed before the system shipped out.... 

Regarding Webcam software; Windows 8 and later have inbuilt camera apps. Dell used to preinstall Dell Webcam software for Windows 7 but they had a deal with Creative as it was essentially a Dell customised Creative package. Likely such a deal is model by model and since they don't really sell this model with Windows 7 (yours being a special case) perhaps there is hence no webcam software for it. It was available for most Windows 7 on my Dell Downloads but I believe this service has now been phased out. There is however an earlier version of it that is freely downloadable:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=N2X8D 

I prefer using other software such as Debut video capture for use with my cameras (there is a free version for non-commercial use).

You may always download a Windows 10 .iso from Microsoft and clean install Windows 10 Pro. See here for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
CTG_8273
2 Iron

The laptop is not a business model. It's a newer model of my 2 year older Inspiron 3542 with Windows 7 Home Premium. I what all you said about the C.O.A it makes sense now. But the webcam and the recovery and drivers should have been sent no excuse at all. They tell me there is no drivers for the 3558 and they have to be downloaded online. I can do that but I like the way Dell has always been very easy with the drivers disk. This all sounds like an excuse for Dell to be greedy. This just may be my last Dell. I have owned 4 since 2008. Owned an Acer in 2007 they are a bad company also greedy as they can be. I was also told there was no drivers disk for my Inspiron 3542 and I asked and asked Dell finally sent it so I know there are the disk Dell just will not send it. It was on the invoice I would get the drivers disk for the 3558 I will check the 3542. I am just so upset Dell is doing this.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

The laptop is not a business model.

Exactly, simply Windows 7 is not properly supported with new hardware on the Home sector... You pushed to get Windows 7 Pro preinstalled... you got it even thought it wasn't recommended. Most of technical support will therefore assume you have Windows 10...

Microsoft are pulling the plug on new Windows 7 PC sales even on the Business sector. The last date OEMs such as Dell are allowed to sell any system with Windows 7 Pro is the End of October:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet 

I would imagine Microsoft would be clamping down on Dell (and all other OEMs) to withdraw Windows 7 sales and support (especially OS media requests) all in favour for pushing Windows 10 RS1...

Regarding drivers discs they've been phased out for years simply because they are usually obsolete as soon as they are printed.... its better to get the updated drivers from Dells website. Moreover most systems these days ship without optical drives so having a DVD is of course limited use. 

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/inspiron-15-3542-laptop.html 

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/vostro-15-3558-laptop.html 

Microsoft have finally also got with the time and will provide an update Windows 10 .iso every 6 months or so. This means you will no longer need to download >200 updates like with a fresh Windows 7 SP1 install.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
CTG_8273
2 Iron

"I would imagine Microsoft would be clamping down on Dell (and all other OEMs) to withdraw Windows 7 sales and support (especially OS media requests) all in favour for pushing Windows 10 RS1..."

If I was the OEM I would not stop selling Windows 7 I would do as the customer request.

"Exactly, simply Windows 7 is not properly supported with new hardware on the Home sector..."

You know what? I installed Windows 10 on my 3542 did a clean install not upgrade USED the UEFI boot option. Guess what? My system was alot slower than Windows 7 and Windows 7 runs better. I even had issues with some of the drivers. Oh and guess what else. A friend of mine purchased a Inspiron with i5 I think it was Inspiron 17. It is so slow stays on the dell splash screen forever then finally boots. Also his printer about a year and a half old if you print something it does not print until the computer is restarted sounds like an issue with Windows 10 the printer is an HP and it had the software downloaded the day I installed it for him. So do not tell me Windows 10 is better than 7. I say Windows 10 is a downgrade because of one media center. You upgrade to home premium to 10 home you do not get media center. It is like XP Home and XP Media Center which was replaced by Windows 7 Home Premium. I have used computers enough to know what I am talking about.

0 Kudos
CTG_8273
2 Iron

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Dell the OEM did do as you requested. The point is they will be unable to do so in October. I'm not sure if they will even be allowed to ship out installation media after October as Microsoft won't supply it to them... Regarding OS Media Requests... don't think I'm against you here... Dell like all other OEMs have their hands tied by Microsoft. In the past Microsoft have seriously stupid policies; like the user interface and Metro Apps of Windows 8... which they forced upon everyone thinking marketing could fix everything and of course few liked it. I've been against their OEM Media Reduction initiative especially when they done so for "green" purpose but didn't provide any Digital Downloads... OEM Factory Recovery Partitions don't always work as you have unfortunately discovered. To that end I've been writing guides which consisted of unofficial workarounds to download Windows Vista OEM, Windows 7 OEM, Windows 8 OEM, Windows 8.1 OEM... installation media and clean install. The updated Windows 7 guide is here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-7-sp1-iso-download/ 

However it is a pain to install Windows 7 on new hardware as it has no USB 3.0 support, no NVMe support and Windows Update won't work on a clean install. There are workarounds for all these issues. With Windows 10 TH2 and later Microsoft finally took all our feedback into account and provided a proper Digital Download for all OEM licenses, Microsoft are likely deliberately making Windows 7 Installation (including procurement of media) a pain to force people onto Windows 10. Also as a side note newer Intel hardware is not likely to have Windows 7 driver support. Since most Dell products are repackaged Intel products and most drivers are repackaged Intel drivers again Dell will be unable to support Windows 7 if Intel can't.

Regarding the Inspiron 3542 it should run Windows 10 fine. There is however some driver issues. One major common issue is with the Intel Management Engine Interface Driver. What essentially happens with Windows 10 is ironic; if the "fast start-up" setting is enabled and the Intel Management Engine Interface Driver 11.0.0.1153 is installed. The computer shuts down displays a blank screen but is still on. This drains the battery completely if the system is unplugged and you have to physically force shutdown the machine and then power it back up (giving you effectively a "slow boot". Dell list the same driver that Microsoft install automatically via Windows Update which has the issue. The latest driver from Intel fixes it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=intel+management+engine 

Windows 10 is now at Windows 10 RS1 this is the third mainstream release of Windows 10. Windows 10 TH1 (the initial release) was hopeless and in my opinion should have remained a Windows Insider Test Preview. Its product activation didn't even work correctly. TH2 was better but RS1 is the stable release many have been waiting for.

Regarding the HP printer all I can say is their drivers are pretty bloated and my old HP all in one worked fine on Windows XP but didn't work fine in Windows Vista, Windows 7 or later. I've decided to stay away from HP hardware since then... preferring Epson which has been less problematic. There was some news maybe last year about HP splitting into 2; printers and PC divisions going separate ways... i.e. their printer segment in particular is in trouble.

Media Centre and anything to do with optical drives CD/DVDs are being phased out...  It seems Microsoft didn't want to pay media companies the price to allow them to pre-bundle codecs... especially on the bulk of new systems without optical drives. With this I would say Microsoft made the right call; the ,media companies greed in charging for codecs and the lack of standardisation of blu-ray software (every version of paid becoming obsolete in a few months) only accelerated their demise. It would have been nice however if one could port the Media Centre and codecs over from their old Windows 7 install. There are some unofficial ways of getting Media Centre for Windows 10.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
CTG_8273
2 Iron

Philip Yip on 12 Aug 2016 18:17 you posted this

downloads.dell.com/.../vostro-15-3558-laptop.html

The 3558 is not a vostro. It is an Inspiron 15 3558

Microsoft has already had one lawsuit. Windows 10 force installed in a lady's computer who ran a travel agent and crashed her system. She *** for $10,000. Also as for the Windows 7 clean. I found a iso that has all the updates slip streamed.  It's a Dell branded Windows 7 DVD or USB. It's actually in one of the links you posted a picture of a dell branded Windows 7 SP2 DVD.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

My bad here is the FTP link to the Inspiron 3558:

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/inspiron-15-3558-laptop.html 

Looks like Microsoft will be supporting 6th generation Intel hardware for a while longer: 

https://blogs.windows.com/business/2016/08/11/updates-to-silicon-support-policy-for-windows/ 

They still however plan not to support Windows 7 on 7th generation (ironic) Intel hardware.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos