Highlighted
jfusco
1 Copper

Inspiron 3847 Windows Hosed and Recovery Won't Load

I have an Inspiron 3847 desktop that's a little over a year old. I use it as a media server so it's on 24/7. There was a storm the other day that knocked out power. When I got back to the machine it was in Windows Recovery mode.

The system came with windows 8.1 and I faithfully created a recovery DVD using Dell Backup & Recovery. I updated to Windows 10 very shortly after and updated Backup and Recovery and then my recovery media to a USB Flash Drive.

I have tried using the Dell Recovery via the recovery mode. Neither option finds any problem and there are no advanced options available.

The System Restore option tells me I need to choose which windows installation I want to restore but gives me know way that I know of to choose anything.

The Reset This PC option tells me "The drive where Windows is installed is locked..." I am not using any sort of encryption.

There is no boot to safe mode option and when I try to boot using the recovery flash drive I created it looks like it's trying to start Windows for a while then eventually pops up an error box that says, I kid you not, "IDS_DISK_NOT_ENOUGH_LARGE"

My data and OS are segregated on different partitions/drives and I have backups everywhere so I'm not concerned if I have to start from scratch but the system just isn't letting me do anything. I haven't yet tried the original factory backup DVDs I created, that's my next step. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd use the original install media but I don't have any.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jfusco
1 Copper

RE: Inspiron 3847 Windows Hosed and Recovery Won't Load

Update: The original restore DVDs didn't work, either. I went for broke and selected a clean reinstall and got, "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing. I'm stuck.

0 Kudos