Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2013 11:00

Inspiron 518 will not restore to factory settings

I follow all of the directions to do a complete system factory install and F8 will get me to safe mode then go right to the Dell screen then blue stop screen.

Anybody have a clue? 

1.8K Posts

February 4th, 2013 12:00

Hi saw3c,

You can run a diagnostic test on your computer to check the hardware functionality by following steps below:

• Please restart the system.
  • As soon as you see the blue Dell logo, start tapping the ‘F12’ key on top of the keyboard.

Note: If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.

• After we have pressed ‘F12’ key then a new window will appear. Now highlight the “Boot to utility partition” and press ‘Enter’.
  • If Boot to the Utility partition option is not there then you will have a “Diagnostics” option to select which starts the diagnostics directly.
  • Make a note of error code if any. 

For more information on this, you can refer to link: http://dell.to/OUGnqT 

If the diagnostic tests pass, it should be an issue with software. To confirm that, you can run a 'Bluescreen View' from the link: http://bit.ly/U2SyEg 

Save the 'exe' file -- > Double click on file and follow the prompts on screen to install the application -- > Check for the file name causing this bluescreen and share the findings. 

Please reply with information. 

2 Posts

February 4th, 2013 13:00

The diagnostic test passed. I can not get to the log on screen.

If I power on the CPU I get the Dell symbol the it will not start up. I get the blue error stop/error screen. I tried to boot this with the recovery CD and no luck.

1.8K Posts

February 5th, 2013 12:00

Hi saw3c,

Please check if the same issue exhibits in safe mode. You can follow steps below to boot system in safe mode:

• Restart the computer.
  • Tap the F8 key on the keyboard during the boot process until you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu on the screen.
  • Select “Safe Mode with Networking” from the menu using the arrow keys on the keyboard and then press the key.
  • Select the user account at the log in screen.
  • Check if the issue persists. 

If the system work without any issues in safe mode, you may try system restore and restore it to the date prior this issue occurred. All the data on computer will be safe but the applications that you have installed after that restore point, you might need to re-install it. 

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore --> Click it. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer. 

You may also install the 'Bluescreen View' in safe mode to check the file causing the bluescreen error. For more information on this, you may refer to link: http://bit.ly/1fIPyq  

Please share the findings. 

No Events found!