Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2009 16:00

Inspiron * 530 Disc Defrag and system restore cannot run but Disk Cleanup can

Hello, I really need help. I believe I picked up a nasty virus or something but after numerous scans everything was quarentened and cleaned (trend micro and adaware). Although pop-ups still persist around my pop-up bloackers and to make matters worse my disk defragment relays the messgae : "Disk Defragment could not start." I thought a system restore could fix all this but System restore says : it is not able to restart and try again (I did try that several times). I am nearly out of ideas after reading many posts and trying to re-format back to factory seems like the best idea although pressing ctrl + f11 during the Dell screen isn't working. Please give me some advice.

BTW it's a Inspiron 530 running Windows XP Home Edition SP3

Intel core duo, E 4500 @ 2.20GHz, 1.18 Ghz, 0.99 GB RAM with 95% free space

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 11th, 2009 04:00

Depending on what virus/malware you had, ultimately a complete reinstallation is the only option.  What was removed may not be all of the virus/malware and you don't want to use System Restore as that can reintroduce the virus/malware.

It sounds like the Dell Recovery Partition has been corrupted or even removed, if the CTRL/F11 won't access it.  If the recovery partition has been corrupted there is no way (for users) to reload that, you will have to do a manual reinstall.  If you have the Dell Windows XP installation CD and the Drivers and Utilities CD(s) that is all you need.  The general installation process is (1) boot from the Windows XP CD, select the option to reformat the hard drive and then Install Windows (2) Install the Intel Chipset Drivers (3) Install Device drivers such as sound, video, etc.  DO NOT skip the chipset drivers, skipping them is the most often reinstallation problem that users report.

If you don't have the Dell reinstallation discs you can order them HERE

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2009 14:00

Thank you for your suggestion. I will give it a whirl. :emotion-2:

1 Message

September 12th, 2014 15:00

I am having the same exact problem and i also have tried everything i can think of. I even called a Dell Tech support number and it turned out to be a number in India and the people i couldn't even understand.

No Events found!