Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2013 16:00

Inspiron N5010 Win7 64 bit never received OS reinstall or driver & utilities disc...

I never received the discs to reinstall, I need them. My computer is giving me the message..."PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" & "PXE-M0F: EXITING PXE ROM." Under those messages it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press any key" I don't have a backup cd either (won't make that mistake again!) I've done everything I can, if you suggest it, I'm pretty sure I've done it...so is there some way the discs can be sent to me? The computer is under warranty until Oct. 2013...

Thanks for any help offered!!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 9th, 2013 18:00

"if you suggest it, I'm pretty sure I've done it"

??

The PXE message simply means that you don't have a bootable network device the system can boot from ... it is an option in BIOS, in the boot order, for network installs, upgrades, and maintenance.  It is likely set as a boot device after the hard disk, so since it is not booting to the hard disk, you are now seeing a message related to the next device in the boot order.

The fact that you are not even getting a Windows message leads me to think one of two things:  1) the mbr/boot sector was completely destroyed, or 2) your hard drive has completely failed.  Boot to the BIOS Setup (F2) and see if your hard drive is listed ... you should also boot to the diagnostics to test your hard drive before trying to restore the OS.

Dell no longer includes the installation media with systems (unless you choose that option - usually at a small $2-5 charge - at the time of the order).  Nearly all OEM's do this (not just Dell), and is a result of Microsoft urging its OEM's to use other recovery utilities (recover partitions, recovery disks created from OS, etc.).

You can request an installation DVD from Dell - free of charge - in the US:
https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

Or you can install using Retail media, then activate over the phone with Microsoft (NOT Dell) over the phone using the Product Key on your COA sticker (must match the version on the COA):
http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

No Events found!