Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2012 07:00

Install Vista for Dell on Toshiba w/virtual machine

I have Vista on my Dell desktop. My notebook is a Toshiba running Windows 7. Unfortunately, I have a very important program that will not run properly on Windows 7 and there is no application upgrade available to make it run on Windows 7. I want to install a virtual machine on my Toshiba and install Vista on it. Will the disk containing Vista for Dell that came pre-installed on my XPS 420 work if I try to install it on the virtual machine. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 18th, 2012 08:00

No, it will not, nor will you be able to activate it, as it can only be activated on a Dell machine with the proper license (which license belongs to the computer).  To run Vista virtually legally on your Toshiba, you must purchase a Retail copy of Vista.

2.7K Posts

January 18th, 2012 09:00

Hi steve9191

As far as i know there is no retail Vista with SP 2 DVD i think you can only get it with SP1

9 Posts

January 18th, 2012 09:00

Thanks. I appreciate the help. Since I am only going to be using it for this one particular program, would it be neccessary to order it with SP1 and/or SP2 included?

9 Posts

January 18th, 2012 10:00

Thanks Jerry

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 18th, 2012 13:00

Since you are just installing Vista on a Virtual Machine, I assume you are using VirtualBox.

You may use a retail .iso with Vista Service Pack 1, follow the instructions given for creation of the .iso.

Next install Windows Vista without a product key, you should get to use Windows Vista for 1 month (30 days) without activating. When the time limit runs out you may delete your Virtual Machine and make a new one with that .iso until the time your program has achieved compatibility with Windows 7. (Note most things designed for Vista will work on 7). Alternatively you may input a key at this time (its up to you whether it is worthwhile purchasing Vista to get the key).

What is the program?

9 Posts

January 24th, 2012 05:00

The program that I am using is Scholar's Aid, 4AE (Academic Edition). It's a notes and bibliography program. It's critical that I be able to use this program. All the research I have done for the book I am writing is in that program. I've tried using the compatability function of Windows 7, but it tells me the program is incompatible. Their American website is dormant and any attempts to contact them have been unanswered. They have a Korean website (not in English), but it appears as though there is nothing going on there either. I am not very confident that there will be a new version of the program.

Thanks, Steve

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 27th, 2012 12:00

I see what you mean given that their current status on Vista is:

"(For Vista only. Please do NOT install this package on other versions of Windows. This Vista version has some functional limitations and less stable than the XP version due to the Vista's backward incompatibility.)"

Also:

"Q. Are you planning to make a Linux version of SA?
A. No. We do not have any plans for Linux at this moment."

"Q. Do you have a Mac or Palm version of SA?
A. No. we do not have a Mac and Palm version and do not have any plans for Mac or Palm versions of SA at this moment. If you run a Windows emulation on a Mac, SA should run on it."

"Q. Is SA compatible with Vista?
A. SA for Vista is available. Some features such as z39.50 might not work on Vista."

On the other hand

"Q. Any future development plan?
A. Sync&Share, Project, and SA5."

I would assume that this company is very slow in adopting change. They may eventually make a fully Vista/7 compatible version at some point but right now it seems XP is greatly favoured. Hence you are kind of locked into old versions of Windows if you want to use this program. Given their preference for XP it may be best to use XP Mode or install XP in VirtualBox for use of this program. 

I guess you have invested alot of time into this program. Its capabilities seem very similar to EndNote from first glance.

I recommend you to give Mendeley Desktop a try it is cross-platform and has a much wider range of users. It is seems to have much more support, is very easy to use. As it has such a large user base bugs are quickly submitted to the team and fixed with very regular updates. Unfortunately they or Mathtype don't fully support the 64 bit version of Office but both are due to release beta versions that do some time next month.

9 Posts

January 28th, 2012 19:00

I appreciate your time and effort. Once I finish the book (another 30 man-hours?????) I'm going to seriously explore changing reference programs. I will be exploring your suggestion. Thanks for the tip!!

No Events found!