Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2008 15:00

Install Vista sp1 or not?

I have a Vostro 1700 about 3 months old and it is working perfectly, I have heard a few negative comments about SP1 but also a few positive ones, should I install it now or wait until more is known about the possible potential problem issues?

Davidarnol 

49 Posts

March 25th, 2008 13:00

FWIW...

Yesterday, Automatic Update showed SP1 as available. This morning, the same thing appeared. But an hour later, the update disappeared and, when run manually,  now shows nothing available!

This is an example of the Microsoft sort of nonsense that makes installing SP1 such a risky proposition. Was

SP1 suddenly withdrawn because of problems? Is Update messed up? I and others like me are not crazy to

wait and see what happens. Rule #1: Never ever be a first adopter!

1.1K Posts

March 25th, 2008 15:00

Rule #1: Never ever be a first adopter!

For me, I always dive in head first.  If I wait,then I hear all the so called horror stories, that 90% of them turn out to be pilot error, but I get nervous and then can't bring myself to do it.  When in school and we had to give speeches or what have you, I'd go first, just so I wouldn't have to sit there getting nervous thinking about it.

Same here, VISTA is new, I jump in and figure I'll learn as I go.  And I have learned a lot.  SP1 comes out, I jump in head first...have had 0 problems, in fact things seem better (but that could be in my head) but if I waited, then I'd read about the drivers and the problems with computers in an endless reboot I would never do it.

2.9K Posts

See this article to restore (almost) the search functionality of Pre SP1 Vista.

49 Posts

>>> Same here, VISTA is new, I jump in and figure I'll learn as I go. And I have learned a lot.

LOL! I used to be like that when I was younger. I spent almost 30 years working in high tech before I wised up (joking...).

Now, however, I don't buy computers to learn on, I use them to get my work done. If the computer goes nuts

I just don't have time to play with it and learn something new. As a student, I doubt you'd be kind to me as a professor if I wasn't prepared for your physics class due to a laptop failure of my own making.

If the promised XP SP3 ever arrives as promised, I'll play with that on my home computer. I can afford to lose that for a while.

12 Posts

March 25th, 2008 20:00

Thanks to all who replied, I do not have a logitech webcam but will wait a few more days before taking the plunge, again, thanks for all the valuable info

49 Posts

March 26th, 2008 17:00

Read one of the new threads on this forum. The guy used Automatic Update to install the service pack and it sounds as if it pretty much destroyed his machine. He's trying to figure out how to get rid of it when the computer barely runs. Wait before installing this update, let others debug the problems first and give MS a chance to issue patches for the patch!

7.9K Posts

March 26th, 2008 19:00

Making regular backups makes me a lot more adventurous.  Worst case with acronis I can be back up in a few hours if something goes wrong  :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 27th, 2008 04:00

Received Vista SP1 on a DVD [$5] from Newegg this afternoon, install the update in less than one hour and had no problems with the installation.

I did disable the AV utility prior to installing and imaged the primary hard drive with Acronis to another SATA hard drive, as a precaution.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

7.9K Posts

March 27th, 2008 04:00

>install the update in less than one hour and had no problems with the installation.

You people and your fast computers.  I swear it took like 3 hours on my D430 with its 4200rpm drive (though perhaps that is a slight exaggeration).

Still, glad it went well  :D

1.3K Posts

March 27th, 2008 14:00

On my XPS 410 it took just under 1 hour.  3 Reboots.    I found a few problems I had got fixed with the SP1.  My shutdown does not hang anymore, my relibility monitor does not incorrectly show program installs any more.    I think the speed a bit better, overall no problems.     I downloaded the updates from MSDN about 5 weeks ago, prior to Microsoft releasing it to the public.   

5.2K Posts

March 27th, 2008 18:00

Shesagordie:

Interesting. I installed SP1 on my D9100 using the 434GB file. It did not wipe out my earlier System Restore points. I have Vista/XP with dual boot. I don't think this should make a difference.

Dimension 9100, Dual-Boot Win XP SP2/ Vista Home Premium SP1, 3.0 GHz P4, 3 GB DDR2 533 MHz RAM, 160 GB SATA II Samsung (XP), 300 GB SATA II Seagate (Vista), 250 GB SimpleTech USB (WD Drive), Nvidia Go 6800 (425/825 MHz - XP, 400/800 MHz - Vista, Vista Driver - 169.25), Dell 1901 UltraSharp FP

Inspiron E1705, Win Vista Premium, T7200 Core 2 Duo (4MB, 2.0 GHz 667MHz), 2 GB DDR2 677 MHz RAM, 120 GB Samsung HD, Nvidia Go 7900 GS - 156.69 Driver, 17” Sharp UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-Screen WUXGA

Message Edited by KirkD on 03-27-2008 02:48 PM

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 27th, 2008 18:00

The only thing I noticed, was the System Restore dates were wiped out, leaving just one date, created by the SP1 installation.

Bev.

7.9K Posts

March 27th, 2008 19:00

Depending on version, you should also use disk cleanup to delete shadow copies made during the installation (and old restore points).  some users claim this took up gigs up space following the installation.

1.1K Posts

March 27th, 2008 19:00

Funny about the restore points.

My son had about 286gig available on his HD.  I installed SP1 and a couple days later looked and noticed his HD had 320gig available.  My first thought was SP1 erased some of the installed programs.  Never even thought, until I read on these forums, that it was the restore points being deleted.

Duh!   You'd think I would know better, but for a moment I was concerned.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 28th, 2008 02:00

Yep, I did use Disk cleanup and defrag after installing SP1.

Bev.

No Events found!