Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2013 10:00

Installed RAM 16GB, only 4GB in BIOS - Precision T5400

Hi all,

I am at wit's end trying to get the most of my memory upgrade.

I am running 64-bit Windows7 on Dell Precision T5400 single quad-core Intel Xeon E5405. Motherboard 0RW203. BIOS version A11

Got eight identical sticks of 2GB ram (totaling 16GB) and installed it on all available slots. Noticed on Windows properties - Installed RAM 16GB (4GB usable). Tried to play around with virtual memory allocations, but no success.

Checked BIOS and it showed all 8 slots occupied with 2GB ram, but installed memory is 4GB. Don't see any options to tweak BIOS setting for it to recognize all 16GB ram.

Checked each stick individually and all play nice and the CPU-Z reports them installed as well, ruling out slot or motherboard issue. I suspect its a BIOS issue and I would be grateful for anyone who can suggest a solution.

I will be happy to provide additional information as requested. I inherited the machine, so RMAs and returns are out of question.

3 Posts

June 5th, 2015 05:00

Hello Arsenal76, the procedure you described did the trick!

Thank you very much.

1 Message

July 20th, 2015 00:00

I also have T5400 and facing the same problem since this morning. I've been using it for 1 year and got no problem regarding memory. Both installed and usable memory was 6GB as the configuration is 1x6GB. Problem is not concerned with BOIS upgrade as I've noticed. It's a motherboard bug for sure.

I've the same brand of memory, all 6 six of them

Exactly the same RAMs and no difference at all.

No voltage issue at all. All this I know because it was just fine for a whole year since this morning

I request dell to please solve our problem :emotion-6:

Using A11.

January 28th, 2016 11:00

I had installed 4 GB / 4x1GB in slots 1-4 (white ones) but it just recognise  2 G :( im worst than all of you guys !! .. :(  

im runnin A11 Bios and 64 bit OS . i dont know what to do.. i took away 2G then start the Pc again and then turn off and put the 2G again and tunr on.. but still saying that i got 4G install but just  2G for use ...    :(

110 Posts

April 10th, 2019 16:00

I know this is a really old thread, but I wanted to post how I got all 8 DIMMs recognized. 

Recently someone gave me one of these old workstations when he cleaned out his garage. It had 8 PC2-5300F 1GB DIMMs (DDR2-667 FB-DIMMs) populated in all 8 sockets, but curiously the BIOS would only address 6GB of RAM in dual channel mode. All of the DIMMs were identical; same manufacturer, same speed rating, same voltage, but I still could not get it to address the DIMMs in sockets 7 & 8. 

Finally I had an idea. If I slowed down the memory bus somehow, maybe the memory controller could then handle all 8 DIMMs. So I put 2 PC2-4200F 1GB DIMMs (DDR2-533 FB-DIMMs) in RAM slots 1 & 2. And then all 8GB of RAM was addressed in BIOS, and available in Windows 7. And as a bonus, it was addressing all 8 DIMMs in quad channel mode. The only downside is that it was working at 533MHz, but it was now in quad channel instead of 667MHz in dual channel. Overall a net gain, especially when you consider the 2GB of RAM I reclaimed.

Obviously, your mileage may vary and this is probably not a memory configuration recommended by Dell. But I'm happy to have all 8GB of RAM working now.

1 Message

May 30th, 2019 19:00

I need help. Seriously. I had 6 4Gb ram modules in my T5500. At some point, the identified ram was only 12Gb. I figured, I’ll just buy new ram. I wanted to maximize what the computer could take which is 72Gb. Bought it, cleaned out the whole box. (Do that every 6mos or so). Installed the ram and got a DIMM 3 error. Replaced the battery CR2032 for the CMOS. Ran all the tests and everything seems to come back okay. I’m at a total loss. Updated the BIOS to A18. Not sure what to do? Should I buy a new motherboard? Seen one on Newegg OEM dell for 98.00.... will that fix my computer?

if anyone can help I would really appreciate it. Not sure how to tell if the sockets are good or bad?

1 Message

June 4th, 2019 21:00

I know this is very dated but still a real issue.  What Arsenal76 posted is the most viable solution.  Ignore the bios and just power through with F1.  I also had DIMM 3 memory error, but I tried installing the upgrade one stick at a time, after returning to original config.  Power on, go through the F1 option, check windows - computer - system to ensure the correct memory is there (it was). Then shut down, add a stick and repeat.  I noticed when I just added one stick it wouldn't give the error message.  I also noted that when I was adding all the memory and going through the countless combinations to figure out the problem, that the first DIMM slot that had a new module would be the one reporting error.  But when I added one at time, as above, fully recognized/available/installed and no error message.  Weird but true.  Return it to the original config, turn it on, bypass the bios, and then off, install (in my case I was adding memory) new stick, turn on, bypass bios.... rinse, repeat.

This machine (T7500) has so much going on that these simple solutions seem to fix the problems rather than more complex solutions, especially if things had been working, prior.  Thanks Arsenal76 !

2 Posts

October 4th, 2020 01:00

Hello there,

No problem with installing those on 0RW203 mobo, with A11 BIOS - works like a charm from the first run

There are plenty of them at Ebay, so take a look there

For example, https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=NT4GT72U4ND1BD-3C&_sacat=11210&rt=nc&Capacity%2520per%2520Module=32%2520GB&_dcat=11210

These are running on W10 x64bit

Best regards,

BartPC24

BartPC24_0-1601798992458.png

No Events found!