Highlighted
2 Bronze

Installing Windows XP on Dell Inspiron N5010 Laptop

Hello everybody;

Below I tried to illustrate all the necessary actions that are needed to be taken to install XP on a N5010 laptop. I hope this helps:

1- Installation of XP itself:

You need an AHCI slipstreamed XP CD to install. You can also change the SATA Mode in the BIOS to ATA to use a CD without AHCI drivers but not recommended becasue it takes you two hours to install and once installed, the performance is like 486! I dont waste time to explain how to slipstream AHCI drivers to XP CDROM because it has been already explained in many posts.

2- Gathering and installation of the drivers:

A. Chipset Drivers from HERE. Reboot after installation.

B. Rapid Storage Controller from HERE. Reboot after installation. (Do not Miss it, very important. It has a  great effect on your hard disk and total system performance)

C. Intel Management from HERE. Reboot after installation.

D. Intel Graphics from HERE. Reboot after installation.

E. ATI drivers from HERE. This damn driver is too hard to install! It does not work automatically! Follow below instructions to install it (if you have intel graphics and already isntalled its driver, you wont need this driver at all):

- Extract the file. Do not try to install it, just extract to somewhere and remember the path!

- Go to the device manager and right-click on Video Controller and then: Update Driver...=> No, not this time => Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) => Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.

- Choose "Display adapters" from the list appeared and click Next.

- Choose "Have Disk" and then press "Browse".

- The driver path is cx420_avga... => 8.723-100406a... => Packages => Drivers => Display => XP_INF

- Press "Open" and the press "OK". You will see a list of ATI drivers.

- Scroll down until you see "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470". There are 3 drivers for 5470, you choose the last one becasue the others do NOT work.

- You will see an "Update Driver Warning" message, press "Yes" and continue. Then you will see a "Hardware Installation" message, press "Continue Anyway" and go on.

- Your ATI graphics driver is installed now, but you need to change the resolution manually becasue the ATI Catalyst software is not installed and cant be installed (at least I couldnt install!)

F. Sound driver from HERE. (Thanks to  who finally found the AUDIO driver for n5010)

G. Now you need to install the HDMI Audio driver that is included in VGA drivers. Look at the Other devices in device manager and you can see "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" although you installed the sound drivers, well, this is HDMI Audio. Right clik on it and choose update driver.

- Follow these steps: No, not this time => Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) => Include this location in the search => Browse

- The driver path is cx420_avga... => 8.723-100406a... => Packages => Drivers => WDM => HDMI => XP

- Press OK and then Next and you are done.

H. LAN driver from HERE. (In my case, it was RealTek NIC driver)

Note: After you install this driver, the LAN device will disappear from your hardware list. Do not worry, it appears whenever a LAN cable is plugged to your laptop!!!

I. WLAN driver from HERE. This one is also damn hard. Mine was Broadcom and could installed only with below instruction. If yours is different you may find it easier to install. Follow below instructions for Broadcom WLAN:

- Excute the file. It will extrant itself to C:\swsetup\SP47152

- Go to device manager and right-click on "Network Controller" and then: Update Driver...=> No, not this time => Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) => Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.

- Choose "Network adapters" from the list appeared and click Next.

- Choose "Have Disk" and then press "Browse".

- The driver path is C:\swsetup\SP47152.

- Press "Open" and then "OK" and you will see a list of Broadcom WLAN drivers.

- Choose the 1st one that reads "Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n" and press Next.

- You will see a "Update Driver Warning" message, press "Yes" and you are done!

I hope the above can help all of the XP lovers to install their favorite OS on their N5010 laptops. I really enjoyed the smoothness and performance of XP on Quad Core processors despite all the negative things somebody say about XP on new laptop models.

Pouria

0 Kudos
46 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Installing Windows XP on Dell Inspiron N5010 Laptop

I have Inspiron N4010 i3 M350 with 3Gb RAM and 320 GB harddisk and want to install Windows XP on it, do the above steps applicable to my configuration also ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi;

The cheapset, rapid storage and intel managment drivers are the same for sure. As for the rest you have to check what is installed on your laptop. Use your service tag to see details about your hardware. www.pcidatabase.com is also a good source if you know how to get the vendor and device ID of your hardwares.

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Pouria.

I just recently got a N5010 without an OS since my softwares wont work in Win7 thinking of installing XP, but found out the problems therein.   Just was hunting the web trying to find a solution and the drivers for xp and landed on this page.  When i went to download the drivers, i found some of the links leading to the intel site dont work anymore.  Greatly appreciate your effort in giving us a solution for the said problem, but would appreciate even more if you could please update those links.   Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the detailed instructions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello;

I am really happy to see that this post is going to help you install XP on your N5010. I checked the links and found out that Rapid Storage and Intel Graphics driver links are not valid anymore and updated them. The new links are now directly pointing to the downloads so easily click on them and save the file. Hope it helps, keep me updated.

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hello

Thanks for your post and links. I just bought dell n5010 and i have win xp because I have some old software.

I have problems with graphic card. I have ATI mobility radeon HD 5470. I downloaded drivers from your link. I did everything just you said but after selecting my card from the list I have error it said SETUP CANNOT COPY FILE ati2mtag.sy_

Do you have any idea what is wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Miha

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi 

Miha, Hope u are quite well , Miha  I also purchased the Inspiron n5010 and wants to install win-XP but it dose't Support the XP Driver which i have installed earliar.  Have you installed the Driver if you have the Drivers for n5010 then pls Send it to me my email id is - <ADMIN NOTE:Email Id removed per privacy policy>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello Miha;

The file you mentioned is located in the following directory:

cx420_avga_8.723.0.0000_7x32\8.723-100406a-098838E-MSI-nonSG\Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF\B_98282

If you can see it by browsing, it may have been corrupted, so try to download and extract the driver again. If you can't, then you might have extracted the driver incompletely. Use an extraxtor like winzip to extract it becasue sometimes when you extract by copy and paste method, some files are missing. I hope this helps. What about the rest of the drivers? Are you ok with them?

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello SUDHAN SHOO;

Did you bother to read the very first post of this thread?! I already put all the drivers for you. Please try them and I hope it can help you install XP on your 5010.

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi pouria.pls help me to find webcam driver for n5010.for win vista & XP

thanks.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello Mehran;

You dont need driver for your webcam actually. Open "My Computer". Under the CD-ROM you can see a "USB Video Device". Double click on it and you will see your face on the screen:emotion-1: I left my phone number for you in a private message, call me if you still have problems.

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

is  bluetooth drivers intalled with wireless driver ?

and how about touchpad drivers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Pouria,

I have got all the drivers from ur locations. But still there are few more thing i would like to know.

I need to make my blue tooth working but u have not mention anything about that.

So kindly provide info about it.

And similarly could u please help me in getting the driver for Web cam.

In a post u have mentioned as web cam does not need driver but I was unable to make it work...

I would appreciate ur help on this regard as well.

Thanks in advance

Karthi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Really nice and detailed post, thanks a lot!

Would you please be so kind to post a link to the proper AHCi driver for Inspiron N5010 laptop to do the slipstream? I tried to find, but finally I gave up. This would be a great help for me!

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

i am unable to install video and wireless adapter (wifi) drivers for xp, i installed 32 bit xp removing sata option in bios, plz help me to get these drivers, thx in advance and specially for this post and sols... Great work man...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello all;

Sorry for my delayed reply as I was attending an exhibition for a few days. Krinolin, below you can find a very detailed step by step guide about making an XP CD with AHCI drivers:

http://maxeasyguide.blogspot.com/2008/04/preparations-for-winxp-installation-cd.html

I hope it helps. I still couldnt find any specific drivers for the webcam, although my own 5010 doesnt need it at all and is working properly with the standard driver of XP. For the bluetooth I used below link and it worked for me:

Give it a try and send me feedback.

Please DO NOT disable SATA in BIOS for installing XP because it gives you awful performance, like a 486 PC. You have better follow the instructions in the link I offered to slipstream AHCI drivers. You will see the difference and get surprized. After that, please try to install drivers again, may I know your graphics chipset? Intel or ATI?

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Network:Dell Wireless WLAN 1520 Half MiniCard Driver

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Intel Wireless Display Connection Manager Driver

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Video:AMD ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470, ATI Mobility Radeon™

please i need these three drivers for xp ? i am tired of searching on internet, i tired all my option but still wifi not working and video not clear(blured), plz help me to find it.. waiting for reply ... thx in advance for reply and sols... great work... pouria.. exec tech man...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi;

Regarding the graphics, if you had followed my instructions in the first post of this thread, I am sure you are already done. But you might have forgotten to set the resolution so you have low quality display. The manual method WONT increase the resolution automatically! For the two other drivers, please show me the Vendor and Device ID so I may be able to help you find a driver for them.

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Dell Wireless WLAN 1520 Half MiniCard Driver

Version    : A03

OEM Name   : Dell

OEM Ver    : 5.60.48.18

Intel Wireless Display Connection Manager Driver

Version    : A01

OEM Name   : Intel

OEM Ver    : 1.1.9.0

Thanks Dude...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

if above info is not enough then tel me wer can i find device id as u said ? tel me i i wil find it and give u ...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Go to the device manager, right click on the device, select "properties", select "details". From the "property" pull down menu choose "Hardware Ids" and then from the value window copy and paste the first line for me.

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello PouriaJ! I'm going to buy new laptop without OS and install XP with drivers by myself. I know it's a bit kind of risk, so can you tell me if all these drivers you have given us will match for my laptop? It's specifications are here :

http://ciapigiau.lt/nesiojami-kompiuteriai/dell-notebook-inspiron-n5010-156-wxga-hd-1366-x-768-led-p...

Thank You!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello Mixas;

Installation of windows XP on new laptops is kind of trouble always but it is possible. I checked the link, I believe you can use the drivers I posted on the laptop you wana buy

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

i cant find tat device der and also network controllers in the list, i can see network adapter in tat i have some bluetooth LAN server device tats it ??? wat to do nxt ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

hi

have you install quickset  on xp ??

how to change brightness because function keys are not working on xp or i miss something

this is the only thing i dont have i tried quickset for inspiron 1545 but no luck

pls help!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

hi

I followed your installations steps and they are ok and work fine.

You didn't specify a driver for touchpad and bluetooth. The driver for touchpad works R257288 (driver from dell-win 7-64bit)  and for bluetooth i found the HP driver sp47152.exe

I can't change the display brightness whit Fn+F4 (down) or Fn+F5 (up). Can you specify what driver for this?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi;

Thank you for the touch pad and bluetooth drivers that made the thread more complete, if someone finds the driver for webcam then we will have almost everything. Regarding the function keys I should say that I sold out all my n5010 I had in stock and should wait for the next party to come. I cant remember if the fn keys of my n5010s could work or not, I dont think I tested at all!

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I tested the webcam in messenger and works fine. I didn't install a driver for webcam.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi PouriaJ,

your Sound drivers link is not valid anymore..  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello Mixas;

So you finally bought it, huh?:emotion-1: I just tested the sound driver link, it is working. Please try again.

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yeah, that nice N5010 arrived to my house just few hours ago. So, it's time to do some work and enjoy win xp 🙂 Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Pouria,

Can you tell me what is the software (driver) for the  QuickSet for the N5010 for the xp.

Also i'm testing the Fn+f3 to dim the light of the monitor and i didn't find anything 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Pouria, ne more problem occured 🙂 How to find adequate AHCI drivers for slipstreaming them to windows xp? I tried the site you offered, but I couldnt download these AHCI files, becouse one link there isn't valid anymore. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Congratulations Mixas. N5010 is a nice and powerful laptop and runs XP very smoothly. Please try the below link for AHCI drivers:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18860&lang=eng

Slipstream all the drivers after extracting the file.

For the problem of Fn + F3 key to dimm the LCD, would you please try it simply without Fn key? Actually in some new laptop models, the multimedia keys have priority to Fx keys so Fn must be pressed only when Fx keys are required! Anyway, you can change this from the BIOS setup.

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

i am speechless to thank you , really it is great job from you ,,, wishing you all the succeed

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

hi pourla

first of all u r making a great job and i really appriciate u. i have n5010 but i am not sure about installing xp. do u think performance of my laptop will increase after installing xp? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Heredot;

What I can say is that n5010 is a great laptop. It has better performance on XP in comparison to most of the previous models and desktops. But I cant say if it is better on XP or 7. If you have 7 and are convenient with it and there is no advantage for you to use XP, keep your 7 running and enjoy.

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I also had the similar problem I just copied the inner XP_INF folder to C:\temp\ and tried again and it worked.

Highlighted
Not applicable

First of All thank you for such a great post.

I realy hated windows 7 since lots of the softwares didnt worked on it. My XP setup was crashing when I tried to install it.

Some How I got XP installed then saw you post for drivers this is just great post.

I have one question though

"For the problem of Fn + F3 key to dimm the LCD, would you please try it simply without Fn key? Actually in some new laptop models, the multimedia keys have priority to Fx keys so Fn must be pressed only when Fx keys are required! Anyway, you can change this from the BIOS setup.

Pouria"

Well I tried with and without function keys some how the Dell System utility seems to give those buttons the functionality. I didnt found the dell system utility for windows xp. Is that the reason the special keys (Brightness, WiFi Enable disable) are not working ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Quick Update...

I am still trying to work the hardware Brightness Keys of my Dell Inspiron n5010 on windows xp. But it has not worked.

But I have found  a software solution to adjust brightness of the screen. The software I used was dlighter, it was found at

http://www.dimxsoft.com/dlighter/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Great Post

My laptop is INSPIRON N5010 with ICore3 ,INTEL HD ,  I would like you to help me with my AHCI drivers for my Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller where can I install it? I googling a lot but I fail , I need it to slipstreamed it with my XP CD for install , because I don't want to disable SATA!! as you sayed.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi idbud

Thanks so much for this Quick Help!! will try it right away , I Owe you idbud

Thanks idbud

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

hi idbud

I really don't know what to say , you such a good man and I talking to you now guys from xp , and all drivers works just fine , the laptop is so good with xp .. But i have a SMALL problem , when I open video i get crash in system and can't do anything must to shutdown it and open it again , I use K-lite codec , and I see the icons in the right bar in msn icon and internet , bluetooth icons that all icons is look not good in color ,  My VGA driver is INTEL HD and I don't know what I have to do ???

Notice: some of my videos is work good and color is good every thing is good , but some times some videos crash my system down.

thanks  idbud

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

hi pouria
its very good topic thank you, my n5010 nottebook 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, I did all the procedures of the slipstreamed XP CD with AHCI, by installing all the drivers installed iata96enu even with it installed my windows xp performance in the first, 1,19 GHz and 2.92 GB ram. Needed help if I did something wrong or if I installed something wrong that could have happened, please a suggestion of someone who knows. thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Victorrh;

You did nothing wrong and everything is working fine for you. As your operation system is 32bits, there is no way to use anything more than 3GB of your installed memory. The same story exists with Win7 32bits too. If you want to take advantage of 4GB of RAM, you need to switch to 64bits OS versions. Your CPU frequency is also correct, the actual frequesncy of your quad core CPU is 1.19GHz and 2.53 is just an equalization.

Pouria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Pouria, thanks for the reply and the great post, was to help the grid.

0 Kudos