Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2010 07:00

Installing Windows XP on Dell Inspiron N5010 Laptop

Hello everybody;

Below I tried to illustrate all the necessary actions that are needed to be taken to install XP on a N5010 laptop. I hope this helps:

1- Installation of XP itself:

You need an AHCI slipstreamed XP CD to install. You can also change the SATA Mode in the BIOS to ATA to use a CD without AHCI drivers but not recommended becasue it takes you two hours to install and once installed, the performance is like 486! I dont waste time to explain how to slipstream AHCI drivers to XP CDROM because it has been already explained in many posts.

2- Gathering and installation of the drivers:

A. Chipset Drivers from HERE. Reboot after installation.

B. Rapid Storage Controller from HERE. Reboot after installation. (Do not Miss it, very important. It has a  great effect on your hard disk and total system performance)

C. Intel Management from HERE. Reboot after installation.

D. Intel Graphics from HERE. Reboot after installation.

E. ATI drivers from HERE. This damn driver is too hard to install! It does not work automatically! Follow below instructions to install it (if you have intel graphics and already isntalled its driver, you wont need this driver at all):

- Extract the file. Do not try to install it, just extract to somewhere and remember the path!

- Go to the device manager and right-click on Video Controller and then: Update Driver...=> No, not this time => Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) => Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.

- Choose "Display adapters" from the list appeared and click Next.

- Choose "Have Disk" and then press "Browse".

- The driver path is cx420_avga... => 8.723-100406a... => Packages => Drivers => Display => XP_INF

- Press "Open" and the press "OK". You will see a list of ATI drivers.

- Scroll down until you see "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470". There are 3 drivers for 5470, you choose the last one becasue the others do NOT work.

- You will see an "Update Driver Warning" message, press "Yes" and continue. Then you will see a "Hardware Installation" message, press "Continue Anyway" and go on.

- Your ATI graphics driver is installed now, but you need to change the resolution manually becasue the ATI Catalyst software is not installed and cant be installed (at least I couldnt install!)

F. Sound driver from HERE. (Thanks to jijojosephk who finally found the AUDIO driver for n5010)

G. Now you need to install the HDMI Audio driver that is included in VGA drivers. Look at the Other devices in device manager and you can see "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" although you installed the sound drivers, well, this is HDMI Audio. Right clik on it and choose update driver.

- Follow these steps: No, not this time => Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) => Include this location in the search => Browse

- The driver path is cx420_avga... => 8.723-100406a... => Packages => Drivers => WDM => HDMI => XP

- Press OK and then Next and you are done.

H. LAN driver from HERE. (In my case, it was RealTek NIC driver)

Note: After you install this driver, the LAN device will disappear from your hardware list. Do not worry, it appears whenever a LAN cable is plugged to your laptop!!!

I. WLAN driver from HERE. This one is also damn hard. Mine was Broadcom and could installed only with below instruction. If yours is different you may find it easier to install. Follow below instructions for Broadcom WLAN:

- Excute the file. It will extrant itself to C:\swsetup\SP47152

- Go to device manager and right-click on "Network Controller" and then: Update Driver...=> No, not this time => Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) => Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.

- Choose "Network adapters" from the list appeared and click Next.

- Choose "Have Disk" and then press "Browse".

- The driver path is C:\swsetup\SP47152.

- Press "Open" and then "OK" and you will see a list of Broadcom WLAN drivers.

- Choose the 1st one that reads "Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n" and press Next.

- You will see a "Update Driver Warning" message, press "Yes" and you are done!

I hope the above can help all of the XP lovers to install their favorite OS on their N5010 laptops. I really enjoyed the smoothness and performance of XP on Quad Core processors despite all the negative things somebody say about XP on new laptop models.

Pouria

October 30th, 2010 10:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Network:Dell Wireless WLAN 1520 Half MiniCard Driver

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Intel Wireless Display Connection Manager Driver

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Video:AMD ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470, ATI Mobility Radeon™

please i need these three drivers for xp ? i am tired of searching on internet, i tired all my option but still wifi not working and video not clear(blured), plz help me to find it.. waiting for reply ... thx in advance for reply and sols... great work... pouria.. exec tech man...

27 Posts

October 30th, 2010 11:00

Hi;

Regarding the graphics, if you had followed my instructions in the first post of this thread, I am sure you are already done. But you might have forgotten to set the resolution so you have low quality display. The manual method WONT increase the resolution automatically! For the two other drivers, please show me the Vendor and Device ID so I may be able to help you find a driver for them.

Pouria

October 31st, 2010 01:00

if above info is not enough then tel me wer can i find device id as u said ? tel me i i wil find it and give u ...

Thanks

October 31st, 2010 01:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Dell Wireless WLAN 1520 Half MiniCard Driver

Version    : A03

OEM Name   : Dell

OEM Ver    : 5.60.48.18

Intel Wireless Display Connection Manager Driver

Version    : A01

OEM Name   : Intel

OEM Ver    : 1.1.9.0

Thanks Dude...

27 Posts

October 31st, 2010 04:00

Go to the device manager, right click on the device, select "properties", select "details". From the "property" pull down menu choose "Hardware Ids" and then from the value window copy and paste the first line for me.

Pouria

4 Posts

November 1st, 2010 03:00

Hello PouriaJ! I'm going to buy new laptop without OS and install XP with drivers by myself. I know it's a bit kind of risk, so can you tell me if all these drivers you have given us will match for my laptop? It's specifications are here :

http://ciapigiau.lt/nesiojami-kompiuteriai/dell-notebook-inspiron-n5010-156-wxga-hd-1366-x-768-led-pentium-dual-core-p61

Thank You!

27 Posts

November 1st, 2010 04:00

Hello Mixas;

Installation of windows XP on new laptops is kind of trouble always but it is possible. I checked the link, I believe you can use the drivers I posted on the laptop you wana buy

Pouria

November 1st, 2010 16:00

i cant find tat device der and also network controllers in the list, i can see network adapter in tat i have some bluetooth LAN server device tats it ??? wat to do nxt ?

4 Posts

November 8th, 2010 01:00

hi PouriaJ

have you install quickset  on xp ??

how to change brightness because function keys are not working on xp or i miss something

this is the only thing i dont have i tried quickset for inspiron 1545 but no luck

pls help!!

3 Posts

November 8th, 2010 09:00

I tested the webcam in messenger and works fine. I didn't install a driver for webcam.

3 Posts

hi PouriaJ

I followed your installations steps and they are ok and work fine.

You didn't specify a driver for touchpad and bluetooth. The driver for touchpad works R257288 (driver from dell-win 7-64bit)  and for bluetooth i found the HP driver sp47152.exe

I can't change the display brightness whit Fn+F4 (down) or Fn+F5 (up). Can you specify what driver for this?

thanks

27 Posts

Hi;

Thank you for the touch pad and bluetooth drivers that made the thread more complete, if someone finds the driver for webcam then we will have almost everything. Regarding the function keys I should say that I sold out all my n5010 I had in stock and should wait for the next party to come. I cant remember if the fn keys of my n5010s could work or not, I dont think I tested at all!

Pouria

4 Posts

November 11th, 2010 05:00

Hi PouriaJ,

your Sound drivers link is not valid anymore..  

27 Posts

November 11th, 2010 06:00

Hello Mixas;

So you finally bought it, huh?:emotion-1: I just tested the sound driver link, it is working. Please try again.

Pouria

4 Posts

November 11th, 2010 06:00

Yeah, that nice N5010 arrived to my house just few hours ago. So, it's time to do some work and enjoy win xp :) Thank you very much!

No Events found!