Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2010 07:00

Installing Windows XP on Dell Inspiron N5010 Laptop

Hello everybody;

Below I tried to illustrate all the necessary actions that are needed to be taken to install XP on a N5010 laptop. I hope this helps:

1- Installation of XP itself:

You need an AHCI slipstreamed XP CD to install. You can also change the SATA Mode in the BIOS to ATA to use a CD without AHCI drivers but not recommended becasue it takes you two hours to install and once installed, the performance is like 486! I dont waste time to explain how to slipstream AHCI drivers to XP CDROM because it has been already explained in many posts.

2- Gathering and installation of the drivers:

A. Chipset Drivers from HERE. Reboot after installation.

B. Rapid Storage Controller from HERE. Reboot after installation. (Do not Miss it, very important. It has a  great effect on your hard disk and total system performance)

C. Intel Management from HERE. Reboot after installation.

D. Intel Graphics from HERE. Reboot after installation.

E. ATI drivers from HERE. This damn driver is too hard to install! It does not work automatically! Follow below instructions to install it (if you have intel graphics and already isntalled its driver, you wont need this driver at all):

- Extract the file. Do not try to install it, just extract to somewhere and remember the path!

- Go to the device manager and right-click on Video Controller and then: Update Driver...=> No, not this time => Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) => Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.

- Choose "Display adapters" from the list appeared and click Next.

- Choose "Have Disk" and then press "Browse".

- The driver path is cx420_avga... => 8.723-100406a... => Packages => Drivers => Display => XP_INF

- Press "Open" and the press "OK". You will see a list of ATI drivers.

- Scroll down until you see "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470". There are 3 drivers for 5470, you choose the last one becasue the others do NOT work.

- You will see an "Update Driver Warning" message, press "Yes" and continue. Then you will see a "Hardware Installation" message, press "Continue Anyway" and go on.

- Your ATI graphics driver is installed now, but you need to change the resolution manually becasue the ATI Catalyst software is not installed and cant be installed (at least I couldnt install!)

F. Sound driver from HERE. (Thanks to jijojosephk who finally found the AUDIO driver for n5010)

G. Now you need to install the HDMI Audio driver that is included in VGA drivers. Look at the Other devices in device manager and you can see "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" although you installed the sound drivers, well, this is HDMI Audio. Right clik on it and choose update driver.

- Follow these steps: No, not this time => Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) => Include this location in the search => Browse

- The driver path is cx420_avga... => 8.723-100406a... => Packages => Drivers => WDM => HDMI => XP

- Press OK and then Next and you are done.

H. LAN driver from HERE. (In my case, it was RealTek NIC driver)

Note: After you install this driver, the LAN device will disappear from your hardware list. Do not worry, it appears whenever a LAN cable is plugged to your laptop!!!

I. WLAN driver from HERE. This one is also damn hard. Mine was Broadcom and could installed only with below instruction. If yours is different you may find it easier to install. Follow below instructions for Broadcom WLAN:

- Excute the file. It will extrant itself to C:\swsetup\SP47152

- Go to device manager and right-click on "Network Controller" and then: Update Driver...=> No, not this time => Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) => Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.

- Choose "Network adapters" from the list appeared and click Next.

- Choose "Have Disk" and then press "Browse".

- The driver path is C:\swsetup\SP47152.

- Press "Open" and then "OK" and you will see a list of Broadcom WLAN drivers.

- Choose the 1st one that reads "Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n" and press Next.

- You will see a "Update Driver Warning" message, press "Yes" and you are done!

I hope the above can help all of the XP lovers to install their favorite OS on their N5010 laptops. I really enjoyed the smoothness and performance of XP on Quad Core processors despite all the negative things somebody say about XP on new laptop models.

Pouria

3 Posts

November 11th, 2010 06:00

Hi Pouria,

Can you tell me what is the software (driver) for the  QuickSet for the N5010 for the xp.

Also i'm testing the Fn+f3 to dim the light of the monitor and i didn't find anything :(

4 Posts

November 11th, 2010 09:00

Pouria, ne more problem occured :) How to find adequate AHCI drivers for slipstreaming them to windows xp? I tried the site you offered, but I couldnt download these AHCI files, becouse one link there isn't valid anymore. 

27 Posts

November 12th, 2010 12:00

Congratulations Mixas. N5010 is a nice and powerful laptop and runs XP very smoothly. Please try the below link for AHCI drivers:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18860&lang=eng

Slipstream all the drivers after extracting the file.

For the problem of Fn + F3 key to dimm the LCD, would you please try it simply without Fn key? Actually in some new laptop models, the multimedia keys have priority to Fx keys so Fn must be pressed only when Fx keys are required! Anyway, you can change this from the BIOS setup.

Pouria

1 Message

November 16th, 2010 08:00

i am speechless to thank you , really it is great job from you ,,, wishing you all the succeed

1 Message

November 24th, 2010 08:00

hi pourla

first of all u r making a great job and i really appriciate u. i have n5010 but i am not sure about installing xp. do u think performance of my laptop will increase after installing xp? 

27 Posts

November 25th, 2010 04:00

Hi Heredot;

What I can say is that n5010 is a great laptop. It has better performance on XP in comparison to most of the previous models and desktops. But I cant say if it is better on XP or 7. If you have 7 and are convenient with it and there is no advantage for you to use XP, keep your 7 running and enjoy.

Pouria

3 Posts

December 8th, 2010 21:00

First of All thank you for such a great post.

I realy hated windows 7 since lots of the softwares didnt worked on it. My XP setup was crashing when I tried to install it.

Some How I got XP installed then saw you post for drivers this is just great post.

I have one question though

"For the problem of Fn + F3 key to dimm the LCD, would you please try it simply without Fn key? Actually in some new laptop models, the multimedia keys have priority to Fx keys so Fn must be pressed only when Fx keys are required! Anyway, you can change this from the BIOS setup.

Pouria"

Well I tried with and without function keys some how the Dell System utility seems to give those buttons the functionality. I didnt found the dell system utility for windows xp. Is that the reason the special keys (Brightness, WiFi Enable disable) are not working ?

3 Posts

December 8th, 2010 21:00

I also had the similar problem I just copied the inner XP_INF folder to C:\temp\ and tried again and it worked.

3 Posts

December 9th, 2010 09:00

Quick Update...

I am still trying to work the hardware Brightness Keys of my Dell Inspiron n5010 on windows xp. But it has not worked.

But I have found  a software solution to adjust brightness of the screen. The software I used was dlighter, it was found at

http://www.dimxsoft.com/dlighter/

3 Posts

December 11th, 2010 14:00

Great Post PouriaJ

My laptop is INSPIRON N5010 with ICore3 ,INTEL HD ,  I would like you to help me with my AHCI drivers for my Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller where can I install it? I googling a lot but I fail , I need it to slipstreamed it with my XP CD for install , because I don't want to disable SATA!! as you sayed.

Thanks PouriaJ

4 Posts

December 11th, 2010 15:00

3 Posts

December 12th, 2010 12:00

Hi idbud

Thanks so much for this Quick Help!! will try it right away , I Owe you idbud

Thanks idbud

3 Posts

December 16th, 2010 11:00

hi idbud

I really don't know what to say , you such a good man and I talking to you now guys from xp , and all drivers works just fine , the laptop is so good with xp .. But i have a SMALL problem , when I open video i get crash in system and can't do anything must to shutdown it and open it again , I use K-lite codec , and I see the icons in the right bar in msn icon and internet , bluetooth icons that all icons is look not good in color ,  My VGA driver is INTEL HD and I don't know what I have to do ???

Notice: some of my videos is work good and color is good every thing is good , but some times some videos crash my system down.

thanks  idbud

2 Posts

December 24th, 2010 11:00

hi pouria
its very good topic thank you, my n5010 nottebook 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, I did all the procedures of the slipstreamed XP CD with AHCI, by installing all the drivers installed iata96enu even with it installed my windows xp performance in the first, 1,19 GHz and 2.92 GB ram. Needed help if I did something wrong or if I installed something wrong that could have happened, please a suggestion of someone who knows. thanks

27 Posts

December 24th, 2010 23:00

Hi Victorrh;

You did nothing wrong and everything is working fine for you. As your operation system is 32bits, there is no way to use anything more than 3GB of your installed memory. The same story exists with Win7 32bits too. If you want to take advantage of 4GB of RAM, you need to switch to 64bits OS versions. Your CPU frequency is also correct, the actual frequesncy of your quad core CPU is 1.19GHz and 2.53 is just an equalization.

Pouria

No Events found!