Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2010 12:00

Installing XP over Windows 98

I began installing XP as an update to Windows 98 on my Dimension XPS R400 (a garage computer) and when it reached the "Installing Windows" segment of the installation process it stops on "39 Minutes Remaining".  I have restarted it 6 or 7 times and the same thing occurs.  I am at a loss as to how to proceed and any suggestions are sincerely appreciated.  I have plenty of memory and elected to install over the Windows 98.  The screen now comes up as Windows XP when I restart the system so something went right until it stopped. 

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.  

jebpet

6.4K Posts

January 12th, 2010 14:00

Which service pack do you have on your Windows installation CD?  Microsoft has identified at least one cause of this problem, found here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815319

Also, it appears you are performing an upgrade over an existing installation.  These are often troublesome as the older version of the operating system is liable to have files that are incompatible with the version being installed.  It would have been better to back up your files, delete the partition containing the operating system, and installing windows XP in the now unallocated space.

No Events found!