Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2011 19:00

Installing XP with DCHI

I have a Dell XPS M1530 with Windows Vista Ultimate and would like to install XP alongside Vista. Unfortunately, I have a DCHI SATA mode instead of ATA selected for many reasons including startup time. I am not interested in permenetley switching to ATA. When I run XP setup it says press f6 if you need to install third party raid drivers or something like that, so I do and it wants me to insert a floppy disk, so I tried to skip that step, only to have the no hard drive detected error, unable to continue, shutting down. So how do I get XP to work with AHCI? Ive been researching and some suggestions are: Switch to ATA and install XP, then install AHCI drivers and switch back to AHCI, which I need more details on such as where are the drivers and how do I install them? Other suggestion: slipstream XP with ACHI built in. I really really don't like this idea. Any other suggestions? Thanks

14.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2011 02:00

If you have 32 bit xp download this driver

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=19599&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%c2%ae+RST)&lang=eng

If you have 64 bit xp download this driver

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=19601&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%c2%ae+RST)&lang=eng

After downloading decompress the file then copy all its content to a floppy.

When installing xp, have the floppy in its drive and when you press F6 to install scsi/raid drivers, point to the floppy for the driver files.

Good luck

NB if you install xp after vista is already on the drive you will lose the MS boot loader giving you the choice on what OS you want to boot up with.

7 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 12:00

I don't have a floppy drive, any other soulutions? Also, i have easybcd so restoring vista bootloader shouldn't be a problem.

14.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2011 14:00

Use nLiteOS to integrate the driver into your installation media, creating a new CD ... or get a USB floppy drive.

I concur.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2011 14:00

Use nLiteOS to integrate the driver into your installation media, creating a new CD ... or get a USB floppy drive.

7 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 16:00

Ok, so how exactly do I use nliteos to Integrate http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=19599&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel®+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel®+RST)〈=eng into my OEM XPSP1 home edition media? I went to there website and found this message posted from the creator-Note: I read that some of you think that nLite breaks the floppy F6 method. That is not true, it is a Windows limitation, just disable the OEM Preinstall on the Unattended - General page or integrate the driver. What's this mean and which one and how should I do it? Thanks!

7 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 18:00

Ok, ive got as far as intergrate the drivers. I downloaded the drivers, unizpped them, and there are tons of files that all look the same, which one do i use?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2011 19:00

Choose Multiple Driver Files, select all that are listed, then choose Text Mode drivers.

You can ignore what is in that post ... it doesn't apply to the type of install you are trying to do.  nLite makes the F6 method unnecessary.

7 Posts

February 4th, 2011 11:00

Ok I succesfully made a copy of windows XP with drivers on a DVDRW but it won't load. I pressed F12 to get the boot device screen, selected Disk Drive, and it booted windows, and it acted like there was no disk in the drive. Its formatted with the live file system. Can the bios not recognize live file systems?

No Events found!