Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2010 15:00

Intel RST IAStorDataMgrSvc running 50% cpu

I have a new Inspiron 560S and the Intel RST application IAStorDataMgrSvc .exe is chewing up 50% of the CPU time.

The system is not configured for RAID.  I have a single 750GB drive, with two partitions.

I don't know what to do.  Can someone assist me?

TIA

2 Posts

December 13th, 2010 12:00

Any luck with this?  I'm in the same boat with my 560S -- IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe*32 process is soaking up 50%+ of my CPU...

Thanks,

Joe

5 Posts

December 14th, 2010 13:00

I have the same computer and the exact same problem.  It does not seem to affect performance though.

But would like to know if it is supposed to be using this much CPU.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2011 20:00

Same problem here, I bought the 560s last week.

anybody any luck? it is really difficult to get to tech support, but they told me maybe i need to scan my computer first.

March 29th, 2011 10:00

This EXE has my CPU running at 100% all the time.  Same 560s system. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 29th, 2011 11:00

I flagged this thread for Dell's forum liasions. They may be able to get their tech team to look at this issue.

I make no promises...  :emotion-5:

Ron

5 Posts

March 29th, 2011 13:00

I tried support chat.  After over 30 minutes got an agent explained problem.  Disconnected. and transferred to another.

Got second agent.  Same thing.

Got third agent they came on and the entire session was disconnected meaning I have to start all over.

Think I will try email.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 29th, 2011 14:00

PVRRAT,

The tag area of your post includes the name of a Dell Tech Support individual and your personal email address. Both of those are violations of the forum's Terms of Use.

Please edit your post to remove that information asap. If you don't edit your post, the forum moderators may delete your post and they could delete this entire thread.

It may take a day or two for the liasion I contacted about this issue with the 560s  to respond, so let's see if he can help all of you find a fix to the problem.

Ron

Edit- Thanks Telson!

904 Posts

Hi

Uninstall the existing Intel RST Application and Install the one from Intel.

Let me know if this fixes the issue.

5 Posts

Here's what I get from email support only easy issues basically and nothing really technical.  It won´t let me copy and paste so that is a simpalized answer.

5 Posts

March 29th, 2011 15:00

Thanks Ron

Was not aware of how the tag worked.

Have tried the fix suggested byTelson?

Thanks Bill

57 Posts

March 30th, 2011 08:00

So I resolved this issue with the following

Windows Task Manager > Services ... click on Services button at bottom right

Select     Intel (R) Rapid Storage Technology

Properties > Change Startup Type  >  Manual   (was Automatic (Delayed Start))

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 30th, 2011 11:00

So I resolved this issue with the following

Windows Task Manager > Services ... click on Services button at bottom right

Select     Intel (R) Rapid Storage Technology

Properties > Change Startup Type  >  Manual   (was Automatic (Delayed Start))

Does the service actually ever start after you made that change? Or have you just inactivated it?

Ron

57 Posts

March 30th, 2011 12:00

Does the service actually ever start after you made that change? Or have you just inactivated it?

The service did not start after the change.  The service is still listed in the services list and can be changed back to Automatic (Delayed Start).  Not sure what you mean by 'inactivated'.

5 Posts

March 30th, 2011 12:00

I uninstalled the intel RST.

Downloaded the new one, but when trying to install I get an error saying that this computer does not meet the  minimum requirements for installing this software.

So now what do I do?

Hi

Uninstall the existing Intel RST Application and Install the one from Intel.

Let me know if this fixes the issue.

1 Message

August 3rd, 2011 08:00

I had the same problem at a large account with a bunch of non-Dell computers. I thought I would inform you guys of what I found.

The problem has to do with the BIOS and the SATA configuration. When the BIOS is set one way and Intel drivers are set to another then the CPU usage goes through the roof. In my case I had the BIOS set to IDE Emulation and Windows was configured for AHCI. On older Intel drivers this mismatch would cause a BSOD at boot.

Dell's do have a different name for this option. In the Dell BIOS there is an option for SATA Operation. The options are Normal or Legacy. Change the setting to Normal. That should fix it.

If you're having the problem when the BIOS is set to Normal then try changing it to Legacy.

If you get a BSOD after changing the option it can be fixed by going back to the BIOS and changing the option back.

No Events found!