Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

August 26th, 2016 19:00

Internet Explorer 11 Auto Restart After Crash

Occasionally Internet Explorer 11 crashes/freezes on my Windows 7 machine and I need to kill the process (just ending the task doesn't always work).  However there is a behavior that I find quite annoying-it is the automatic restart of the program after ending the process.  If I kill the process-that is what I want to happen!  I seem to remember there is a registry hack to prevent this behavior.  Does anyone know what it is? 

Thanks,

Ken

285 Posts

August 27th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

Try to reset you Internet Explorer 11. Restart your system. Before steps can't solve your problem. Uninstall the Internet Explorer 11 and then reinstall it.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 29th, 2016 08:00

Kenp2016,

Click the link below for information resolving this issue. 

Internet Explorer Crashing

8 Posts

August 30th, 2016 17:00

Hi Jesse, thanks for the info on resolving IE crash issues.  However my specific question is how to disable the browser's auto recovery function post crash.  I remember it was a registry hack, but can't recall the exact directions, and can't seem to find that info anywhere. If and when a crash occurs, I don't want the program to sit there and try to open up 10 tabs again...I want to start over.

Thanks!

Ken

• 

16.7K Posts

September 1st, 2016 05:00

kENP2016,

I apologize for misunderstanding the post. I did find a link with information. Click the link below.

Internet Explorer - Enabling/Disabling the Automatic Crash Recovery feature

4 Posts

September 4th, 2016 16:00

Start IE11 in No Add-ons mode by running the Run command from the Start menu, and then typing iexplore.exe -extoff into the box.

Check if IE still crashes.

If the browser doesn't crash, open Internet Explorer for the desktop, click the Tools menu, and click Manage Add-ons.

Click Toolbars and Extensions, click each toolbar or extension, clicking Disable to turn off all of the browser extensions and toolbars.

Restart IE11. Go back to the Manage Add-Ons window and turn on each item, one-by-one.

After you turn each item back on, see if IE crashes or slows down. Doing it this way will help you identify the add-on that's causing IE to crash. After you've figured out which add-on was causing the problem, turn it off until you have an update from the manufacturer.

To check for Software Rendering mode

Open Internet Explorer for the desktop, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.

On the Advanced tab, go to the Accelerated graphics section, and then turn on Software Rendering mode by choosing the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering box.

If the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering option is greyed out, it means that your current video card or video driver doesn't support GPU hardware acceleration. For more information, see Windows 10 Support.

No Events found!