Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 3rd, 2014 08:00

Internet Explorer 11 fails to update in Windows 7 - error 9C48

Every single time I shut down Windows 7 it says it is installing updates (1 of 1). Checking Windows Update it only shows one important update: INTERNET EXPLORER 11 FOR WINDOWS 7 FOR X-64 BASED SYSTEMS It is trying to install this but always fails, if I try to do it manually, it fails and gives me the error 9C48 I am currently running IE - version 11.0.9600.16428 update versions: RTM (KB2841134) I have been working on this problem with a "MVP" on Microsoft's community help site but the only helpful thing he's given me is how to hide the IE 11 update so it no longer tries to update every time I shut down, but he insists that without the latest IE updates my computer is at risk.

8 Posts

March 5th, 2014 08:00

Okay, I finally just gave up and returned the computer to the Factory settings, reinstalled

all the security updates, etc...  and stuck with IE 10 (read too many bad things about Windows 7/ IE11 combo)

Now everything seems okay. Thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2014 08:00

gideon52,

Internet Explorer 11 has been causing printing issues, so I have instructed people to uninstall IE11.

Go to control panel, Windows Update, Installed Updates, look for Internet Explorer 11. Click on Internet Explorer 11, uninstall.

Restart the computer, when prompted.

After you startup the system, you'll probably have Internet Explorer 10 installed. You can then try Windows Updates and see if IE11 will install. You may have to restart and see if there are updates that need installed.

Also try reading...

How to Repair Windows 7 Update Issues

or

Windows Updates failing in Windows 7 {SOLUTION}

Rick

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 13:00

There are no versions of IE anywhere on the list of "Installed Updates" IE10 was there, but I deleted while trying to uninstall IE11 on the advice of the person on the Windows forum...It had no effect whatsoever on IE11. I ran through the steps in the 2 links you posted and they had no effect.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2014 16:00

gideon52,

Try downloading Internet explorer 11 and see if it installs.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-11-worldwide-languages

Rick

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 19:00

Tried it and it failed, said there is already a more update version installed.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 4th, 2014 09:00

gideon52,

That's strange.

Open Internet Explorer, click on Help, then click on About Internet Explorer. It should show the version there.

If it shows IE10, then I don't see why it's saying you have a newer version installed.

Options...

Download and install CCleaner

Open it, then click on registry, scan for issues. Click on fix selected issues, Backup changes to registry, yes, Fix all selected issues.

Restart the computer.

Then try to install IE11

Rick

8 Posts

March 5th, 2014 08:00

If this post shows up twice I apologize, apparently Dell's forums work about as well as

their phone tech support.

I returned the computer back to Factory settings, reinstalled all the security updates, etc...

now things seem fine. Sticking with IE10 (I've read too many bad things about the Win7/IE 11

combo).

Thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 5th, 2014 15:00

gideon52,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting abck.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

November 28th, 2015 10:00

errore Explorer 9c48

No Events found!