Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2009 17:00

Is it possible to install 32 bit Win XP on an XPS 630 64 bit system

I am aware that it is possible to purchase an XPS 630i with Windows XP. I haven’t been able to determine if the version of Windows XP is the 64 bit version. I attempted to install a 32 bit version of XP Pro and XP Home and received the blue screen of death after the files have been loaded and the install actually begins.

I spoke to the Dell returns agent and he informed me that I should be able to install the 32 bit XP Operating System on the XPS 630i.

Can anyone tell me what it takes to install XP on the XPS 630i?

Help:emotion-42:

14.4K Posts

Setting the SATA mode in the bios to ATA or slipstreaming the SATA drivers into the install disk.

16 Posts

Thank you Dave does sound like a good explanation for my problem, so now I have 2 questions about your solution. I have never slipstreamed a driver before, is that as easy as putting the drivers on a 2cd CD and putting that CD in my lower drive?

My other question is it less complicated to change the mode to ATA in BIOS, and if so can I load the SATA “nVidia MediaShield” driver for Win XP and then change the mode back to SATA after the install?

:emotion-4:

16 Posts

March 31st, 2009 18:00

I went into teh BIOS and didn't locate an option to change the mode from SATA to ATA! I found the SATA drive cofiguration in the Advanced tab but I didn't find any option to modify the mode from SATA to ATA... can anyone tell me if I'm overlooking something?

14.4K Posts

March 31st, 2009 19:00

Great the info on your system setup is very sparse looking at your online manual. So The only thing I can say is look for something like this Raid Autodetect/ATA, Raid Autodetect/AHCI, RAID on or something simular.

As far as slipstreaming HERE is some info on the process.

16 Posts

April 1st, 2009 09:00

I have a new question Davet50

Processor, Q8200, 2.33, 4MB York field, 95W, M1 Video Cable

NVidia Motherboard (I’m assuming Standard for XPS 630i)

NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800GT,SLI

8GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4X2GB

X-Fi PCI Sound Card

My newest question is- what driver I will need to slipstream into the XP CD with the nLite utility. I couldn’t find the specs on the motherboard but I do know it’s an NVidia chipset.

I found a SATA driver for XP at the driver downloads for Win XP under the 630i. It’s called the “NVidia Media shield”. Can anyone verify that this is the driver that I will need to slipstream with nLite? The driver is only 513 kb so it won’t have any issues fitting on an XP CD, I just want to verify it’s the driver I need to slipstream.

Any suggestions would be appreciated  :emotion-42:

2 Posts

April 8th, 2009 19:00

> Yes the nvidia media shield driver is the one you want for the install.

In my case I was not able to locate the mediashield drivers off of the dell site (might be my location?) Anyway, I used the nForce driver located on the nVidia web site.  Just expland the large executable, go into the ide\sataraid, put it on a floppy and it works.  My system is now running XP.

14.4K Posts

Yes the nvidia media shield driver is the one you want for the install.

2 Posts

>  I am aware that it is possible to purchase an XPS 630i with Windows XP

On the Dell site only Vista was available.  I decided to buy the system none the less thinking it would be easy to downgrade to XP :-(

The problem is that I get a stop 0x7B which I beleive you are also experiencing.  This is because there is no AHCI support for XP out of the box, to the best of my knowledge even XP SP3 does not support it.

When this problem occurs it is generally possible to solve it by changing the BIOS setup for the SATA controller, unfortunately the Dell implementation of the Phoenix BIOS is very limited and it is impossible to disable the AHCI feature.

I tried locating the SATA drivers on the Dell web site, unless they are bundled with the nVidia chipset drivers, I haven't found them.  I am not sure if slipstreaming this with nLite will work.  I didn't find this:  SATA “nVidia MediaShield”.  Looking at the nVidia site I can find the raid drivers there.

It's easy to check if you have the proper driver and you don't need to do a slipstream installation, simply press F6 and feed the driver to windows through a floppy.  The size you said the driver was should be correct, these drivers are generally small and fit on a single floppy.

If  these drivers don't work, an alternative that may work, tought there is no warranty, would be to install a PCI SATA controller card in the machine and connect the drive to it.  Install XP with the nVidia driver and then switch the cable back to the onboard controller.  Once all of this is done a ghost of the boot partition would be in order for future installation.

Have fun !

No Events found!