Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2006 00:00

Is it possible?

Hi;:smileyhappy:
 I had a Dell Dimension 8100 with Windows XP HE. 
 I now have a new Dell Dimension 5150 with Windows XP Media Centre
 2005 which I don't like. My question: is it possible to use my Windows XP
 Home Edition installation disk from my 8100 Dimension and install
 it on my new 5150 Dell as my OS? :smileyindifferent:

60 Posts

Thank you Rick for that quick reply, you saved me a lot of trouble. :smileyhappy:

11.9K Posts

@lambo2 wrote:
Hi;:smileyhappy:
 I had a Dell Dimension 8100 with Windows XP HE. 
 I now have a new Dell Dimension 5150 with Windows XP Media Centre
 2005 which I don't like. My question: is it possible to use my Windows XP
 Home Edition installation disk from my 8100 Dimension and install
 it on my new 5150 Dell as my OS? :smileyindifferent:

In the future, by using the Advanced Forum Search on the bottom of this page, you can quite easily find the answer to this often asked question.

No.  That's a violation of the license agreement and illegal.

20 Posts

September 11th, 2006 11:00

I have both Operating Systems and actually like them both. My recommendation would be to Purchase the XP Home Edition complete (Not Upgrade), which I recently did for $79. Your PC's probably came with an OEM install of the OS on them, which means the disk you have is a Restore only of the System you have. During my DSL setup I crashed my System and was informed by the Verizon Tech Support that purchasing a Full version of the OS Software is a Great Practice as it makes recovery much easier. After my Purchase I now have my own Licensed copy that I can use to restore and reload all drivers without the worry of Breaking the Law.

11.9K Posts

September 11th, 2006 12:00

@THeinrich wrote:
I have both Operating Systems and actually like them both. My recommendation would be to Purchase the XP Home Edition complete (Not Upgrade), which I recently did for $79. Your PC's probably came with an OEM install of the OS on them, which means the disk you have is a Restore only of the System you have. During my DSL setup I crashed my System and was informed by the Verizon Tech Support that purchasing a Full version of the OS Software is a Great Practice as it makes recovery much easier. After my Purchase I now have my own Licensed copy that I can use to restore and reload all drivers without the worry of Breaking the Law.

You were given improper advice from Verizon since the Dell OEM CD is a full copy of OEM Windows, it is NOT a restore disk. 

September 11th, 2006 12:00

hey just wondering do you have to call microsoft after installing it 5 times to reset the key code with the retail copy ??

and thay need to put windows MCE out on retail

Message Edited by ricky_bennett on 09-11-200608:22 AM

20 Posts

September 11th, 2006 15:00

Thanks Rick,

I was not aware that the OEM version of WinXP was a Standard Full Copy.

11.9K Posts

September 11th, 2006 17:00

@THeinrich wrote:

Thanks Rick,

I was not aware that the OEM version of WinXP was a Standard Full Copy.

Only difference is that it's locked to Dell bios.  Further, the ONLY difference between a retail FULL version and  retail UPGRADE version is that the upgrade wants you to insert a prior version of XP to prove upgrade qualification.

Glad to help.

60 Posts

September 11th, 2006 18:00

Sorry Rickmktg, but my Windows XP HE disk is an upgrade, complete with product key

number and not a full copy.

11.9K Posts

September 11th, 2006 20:00

@lambo2 wrote:

Sorry Rickmktg, but my Windows XP HE disk is an upgrade, complete with product key

number and not a full copy.

There is NO difference between an "upgrade" version and a "full" version except that the upgrade version requires a prior version of Windows, on CD, to validate the install.  Both types allow you to do a CLEAN installation of Windows XP, they are functionally IDENTICAL.

No Events found!