Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

July 9th, 2008 20:00

KB951748 affects Zone Alarm

Microsoft Update KB951748 affects ZoneAlarm. This results in not being able to receive email nor get on the internet. I had to uninstall this update and turn off the automatic updates.  Some have suggested that instead of this that you can change the Security in ZA from High to Medium.  Hopefully Microsoft will have a fast fix for this. 

244 Posts

July 10th, 2008 07:00

I had this problem yesterday...when trying to connect to Hotmail or other sites, part of my desktop was showing on about the top two inches of the screen and I got the DNS error page.

Did a system restore and got back online, but have the "updates are ready to instal" message back...what do you suggest? It does have KB951748 and 890830...

Matt.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 10th, 2008 09:00

Bugbatter has a post about this in the VIP section and wants to know about anyone that has had the problem as he is compiling a list for Microsoft. 

If you change the ZA security level, it will temporarily get around the problem until either ZA or Microsoft issues a patch for the problem.  A security guru on another forum thinks ZA will have to be the one to issue the fix.

2.7K Posts

July 10th, 2008 10:00

Matt35, I am waiting to install KB951748 until either Microsoft or ZA have a fix.  I do not want to lower my security from High to Medium.  Hopefully there will be an immediate fix.

20.5K Posts

July 10th, 2008 11:00

ZA is offering updated versions which solve the loss of internet access problem:
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html

244 Posts

July 10th, 2008 19:00

Bugbatter,

Thanks for the advice - I have removed the update as you suggested...but still have the little yellow shield bottom right on the taskbar...it pops up from time to time telling me I need to update...can I get rid of this?

Again, my thanks for your assistance...can I ask one more question?

I am thinking of booking a holiday quite soon which will involve flying...do you have any information on the expertise of those who design updates for MS or ZA compared to those who design aircraft control systems?

Tongue in cheek - thanks again!

Matt.

596 Posts

July 10th, 2008 22:00

Matt ,had the same issue the other day but unfortunately I could not get on the net to these forums. I did eventually figure it out.You should be able to make the download prompt go away by going to windows update>choose custom install>uncheck this update and click on hide this update.

244 Posts

July 11th, 2008 08:00

Thanks - that fixed it!

No Events found!