Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2012 16:00

Lag After Hibernate

Hi everyone.

I'm wondering if this problem is common or if someone can help me resolve it.

Several weeks ago, my Dell Inspiron N4110 was reformatted. I reinstalled the operating system (Windows 7 Home Premium) and manually installed all Drivers from the Dell Website. Then I did the driver scan, found more, and installed them. 

The problem that I've been trying to figure out for weeks and weeks is that when my computer goes to sleep, or hibernate or standby, if it's been running for a little while (an hour or more) then it will experience EXTREME LAG IN ALL PROGRAMS, including windows itself. Occasionally, the screen will turn black, or the mouse cursor will get stuck in one place.  If I click and drag on a scroll bar, it will get stuck and hang for 5-10 seconds.  If I am typing a sentence, it will get stuck and take several seconds for what I type to show up. Lastly, all programs will spontaneously hand and stop responding during normal use.

Following this, the computer also fails to shut down properly: it hangs on the "Shutting down..." screen, and I have to force shut down instead by holding the power button (which I'm SURE is horrible for the computer).

Immediately following startup or restart, none of these problems occur. Even if my computer has been running for days, as long as it hasn't gone to sleep or hibernate then it will still work fine.  

This problem needs to be resolved because I often need to put it to sleep or hibernate for short periods of time, since it is a laptop.

I only bought this computer last December, and the warranty is good for the first year.  So, I'm also wondering if this kind of problem would be covered under warranty if no one can figure out how to resolve it.

Some details about my computer:

Dell Inspiron N4110 (14R)

5.7 Windows Experience Index

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Operating System with Service Pack 1

My typical use of programs:

Microsoft Word 2007

Microsoft Excel 2007

Google Chrome

Windows Media Player

I will really appreciate any help!

-Sam

• 

3.3K Posts

November 27th, 2012 03:00

Hi smort058,

Ideally the system will freeze for few minutes after waking up from ‘Sleep’ or ‘Hibernate’ mode as the applications or files are loading. However if the application continues to freeze continuously then it is a concern.

I suggest that you update drivers in the order given below:

BIOS: http://dell.to/W9AIAl

Chipset:  http://dell.to/QoZfix                            

Video:  http://dell.to/TgtvwO  (Click on this link and click on ‘Video’ and install the latest Intel Graphics video card driver. Restart the system and select the type of AMD Radeon video card the system has and install it.   

While flashing BIOS, do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop and please have the Ac adapter connected to the system as this needs uninterrupted power supply.
Restart the system after each driver update.

Please revert for any further queries.

9 Posts

November 27th, 2012 05:00

Thank you, Sujatha,

I have completed these installations in the order you specified.

If the problem has been solved, then I won't have any problems. If it hasn't, then I'm sure that I will find out in the next couple of days.

If the problem persists, I will let you know.

-Sam

9 Posts

November 28th, 2012 21:00

Comment Withdrawn; Process did not solve problem.

9 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 10:00

There is a new problem, even more severe than before.  The slow downs don't happen anymore, but now what happens  sometimes is I'll resume my computer, and 10 minutes in it will slow down to a freeze. I mean EVERYTHING FREEZES. Even the mouse cursor. Before it went into a stalemate it told me that explorer.exe has stopped responding.  I know from past experiences that when the computer does this, something is very very wrong.

Maybe the processor is faulty?

Do you have a fix?

9 Posts

December 5th, 2012 07:00

After resuming from a hibernate, the computer gradually freezes up within 20 minutes.  

At 5 minutes time, things look mostly normal, but animations of windows appears slowed or delayed.

At 10 minutes time, every 4 clicks results in a 15 second lag.

At 15 minutes time, ALL PROGRAMS CRASH.

At 20 minutes time, the computer appears frozen in a block of ice, and is as useful as a BRICK until I manually restart.

*Note: timings are approximate, not accurate.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND?

• 

3.3K Posts

December 12th, 2012 10:00

Hi smort058,

I recommend you to run a diagnostics on the hardware components of the system. To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes. Please reply to this post in case of any error message.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 13th, 2012 14:00

One thing to check--did you install the System Software first along with the chipset drivers when you reinstalled the drivers? Skipping it or not installing it first before all other drivers can cause problems when reinstalling windows, It's under System Utilities on your download page:

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-14r-n4110

9 Posts

December 13th, 2012 14:00

Sujatha,

I did that a few days ago and it didn't detect anything wrong. This leads me to believe that it's a problem between Windows and the Computer's driver configurations.

I am fed up with spending >1 hour every single day trying to fix these problems, so over the Christmas holidays I will back up everything, and wipe the hard-drive and reinstall Windows and all the drivers, programs and settings.

This will be my fourth time doing it in this past year, and each time I lose about 3 full days to it.

So this time I REALLY want it to work.

I want you or someone from Dell to give me a full explanation of the sequence of installation for ALL of the drivers.

I get really annoyed when I try to install a driver and there's an error message because a different driver needs to be installed first, and from what I've seen on the website, there is no useful guide. I would like this to be an error free process.

I take really good care of my things, and I have a lot of faith in Dell.  I also just helped a family member order an inspiron for their own use. I want to know I can trust Dell products, and I've gotta tell you, so far I don't feel like this product deserves my trust.

Side note: I'm also wondering why my laptop's battery health is at 82% after only one year. Is that normal?

9 Posts

December 14th, 2012 06:00

Thanks Mary,

I can't be certain if I did it first or not. I was not aware of the proper order last time I re-installed everything. I followed your link and found another one telling me a correct installation order.  Thank you for that.

After installing Windows, when should I install system updates? Before the drivers? After certain ones? or After the entire process? Is there an order for that as well that you know of?

Also, should I restart Windows after every driver update?

• 

3.3K Posts

December 17th, 2012 14:00

Hi smort058,

I suggest that you install the Operating system and then install the driver in the exact order mentioned in the link below:

http://dell.to/P0Ddgn

Please restart the system after each driver update.

Once all the installation is complete, I recommend you to proceed with the Windows update.

9 Posts

January 26th, 2013 07:00

All issues have been resolved. Thank you for your support.

No Events found!