Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2010 21:00

Latitude D620- Vista to Windows 7 Problems

I am trying to upgrade my laptop Latitude D620 from Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional.  I have gone online and downloaded the upgrade advisor, which says that my computer is completely eligible for upgrade to Windows 7.  All FAQ, etc that I have found on Dell's website backs this up.

I inserted the upgrade assistant DVD (Dell Windows 7 Upgrade Assistant DVD 32 Bit).  It checked my system and said that the Latitude D620 was not eligible for upgrade to Windows 7.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  The computer store which I got the Windows 7 disks from did not anticipate any problems.  I've tried to get in touch will Dell over the phone and through their "chat", with no response.

4.6K Posts

January 27th, 2010 08:00

If Windows 7 doesn't install default drivers for most of the hardware in the laptop, the corresponding Vista drivers (32bit/64bit) often work, so it's entirely up to you whether to go ahead with the upgrade or not.

FWIW:  There are no Windows 7 drivers offered for the XPS M1730 either :emotion-6:

But I took the gamble anyway, and subsequently have no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager.

I had to use Vista drivers for a few of the components, but everything is hunky dory :emotion-11:

So if you do take the plunge, use Vista drivers for any components Windows 7 doesn't install default drivers for :emotion-5:

No Events found!