Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2007 15:00

Lexmark X73 printer compatibility with Vista

I have the Lexmark X73 MFP.  Works great for my desk top with Windows XP.  But with the new laptop with Vista home it does not recognize my printer.  In research I find this modle was discontinued in 2003.  Is thern a compatible driver out there I can use?

2.7K Posts

June 23rd, 2007 17:00

Hi
If it is that old it is not going to work with Vista:smileysurprised: and Lexmark would be were you would get drivers for it but i would bet you will not find one at all .:smileymad:
Good Luck

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2007 18:00

Lexmark doesn't have it on site & they have not yet responded - same for microsoft.  so far I have to email it to myself and print from the other computer - which is beginning to die.  Hate the idea of buying a new printer when this one working so well

2.7K Posts

June 23rd, 2007 18:00

Hi i know what you mean by not wanting to buy a new printer but you said.
In research I find this model was discontinued in 2003. 
Lexmark is not going to write a driver for a printer that is out dated or
discontinued  Microsoft is not going to help you with is it is not there problem
The only thing i can tell you is you need to get a new printer,
and make sure it will work with Vista . i had to give up on 2 printers that
would not work.
Good Luck

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2007 19:00

There were a lot of interface problems with the old Lexmark "X" series  all in one units.  Consider yourself lucky if it's worked OK for you in the past.  But as noted many people, when upgrading, have had to give up the "old reliable" for a new compatible unit.

326 Posts

June 23rd, 2007 20:00

You could install the drivers and run them in XP Compatability Mode
That is the only way you can get that to work in Vista
Old equipment will not be supported by the manufacturer as they
claim it is too costly and the equipment for all intents & purposes
has no useable life left in it. Even HP refuses to release Vista Drivers
for certain of their older products.

12.7K Posts

June 23rd, 2007 23:00

Here are the XP drivers, patches and utilities

installation using compatibility mode works most of the time.

download the driver file, and right click on the exe file and choose properties\compatibility Tab, choose XP sp2, also tick the box, "run as administrator" if available, hit OK, execute the install.

32 Posts

June 24th, 2007 08:00

Hello.
I had a Lexmark X73 on my old Windows XP machine as well. When I got my new Dell XPS 410 with Vista on it, I ran into the same problem.  This is what I can definitively tell you.

Using the XP drivers in compatibilty mode will not work.

Lexmark will not be creating a Windows Vista driver for the X73 - ever.

I know this because I sent an email to Lexmark and asked them. I wasn't happy about it but I guess it was my fault for not checking into things like this before getting a newer system. I have since bought a new Epson and it works great!

Good luck to you.

326 Posts

June 24th, 2007 12:00

Why won't it work in XP Compatability Mode ? ? That is what is for, when you have software issues with programs running under Vista. You could also try the X75 drivers ... they may work ok in XP Mode

4 Posts

June 24th, 2007 16:00

Thanks everyone.  I tried all the solutions to no avail.  Additionally, I just had to rebuild the hard drive on the 8200,  However the X73 still works fine on it.  Appearantly there is no real work around for ths one.
Patty

12.7K Posts

We tried.  :smileysad:

32 Posts

85rx-7se wrote:
Why won't it work in XP Compatability Mode ? ? That is what is for, when you have software issues with programs running under Vista. You could also try the X75 drivers ... they may work ok in XP Mode

I don't know why it doesn't work in XP Compatability Mode, it just doesn't. Lexmark themselves confirmed this to me through email after I tested it. I'm fairly certain that not everything works in XP compatability mode that isn't working / designed for Vista. If this were the case, why would anyone ever create Vista drivers when they could just use XP drivers instead?

I actually got the scanner working under Vista using default drivers, but the printer never did. Perhaps you will have better luck than I did.

Good luck to you.

No Events found!