Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2008 22:00

Live.com

Every so often, a couple times a week,  something deposits a little message on the status bar or whatever the area is next to the system tray. It is usually labeled as whatever@live.com  I forgot to write down what the name on the left side is. It is accompanied by a sound effect like an e-mail alert. I do not use Messenger or anything like it, so I consider this kind of annoyance to be malware since I did not request it or know where it comes from.

Doing a Google search on Live.com seems to indicate that it has something to do with Windows. Does anyone know what it is or if there is way to disable it? Scans do not show anything to worry about.

2.5K Posts

July 4th, 2008 01:00

Do you have Windows Live Messenger running on your system? It should be a green man icon shown on your System Tray.

Live.com is the latest portal from Microsoft.  Services such as Hotmail and Messenger now carry the "Live" branding.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

July 4th, 2008 09:00

Yes I have it. I don't use Messenger for anything and wish I could get rid of it, but I guess it is an intregal part of Windows.

2.5K Posts

July 4th, 2008 18:00

Windows Live Messenger is not an integal part of the operating system so it is safe to uninstall via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Vista)

No Events found!