efrain787
1 Copper

Re: Loading DRMK Version 8.00 error

thank you very much.
0 Kudos
t-girl4
1 Copper

I can't thank you enough. I have been trying to solve this problem for two days now, and if this didn't work was ready to toss my laptop. It did work!!!! So the problem hadn't been resolved for everyone, and as long as someone is using XP it will probably keep popping up. I could hug you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Hi

I had the same problem...here's how to fix it:

Your restore process was successful but somehow after reboot the boot sector was mixed up and now it tries to load from the restore partition again.

You'll need a bootable USB stick and a file named "ptedit" to change the boot order.

Make a USB stick bootable (google on how to do it),

Download and unzip the ptedit file  (get it here  ftp.symantec.com/.../ptedit.zip ),

Copy it to the USB drive,

restart PC pressing the F12 key (with the USB drive installed),

from the menu select USB device,

type: ptedit  and hit enter,

Use the tab key to move around,

first you have to change the drive from drive 1 (USB) to drive 2 (use arrow key),

now go to line 1 and change the number 80 under boot to 00,

next go to line 2 and change the number 00 under boot to 80 (this makes the C drive the bootable drive),

safe changes and enter,

when asked are you sure? choose YES! enter and restart...

That's it! Computer will start windows setup.

This was done on my Dell inspirion with windows XP media center

0 Kudos
Ruffled
1 Copper

I've got the DRMK Version 8.00 continuous error, non-stiop. I wasted an hour on those two links above by the supposed expert Dan Goodell.

There's not one word even close to referring to this peoblem. Complete waste of time!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

True, if you are looking for a detailed troubleshooting guide, you will not find it in Mr. Goodell's treatise.  His document simply details the way the old Windows XP PC Restore worked and gives some suggestions on repairing the special Master Boot Record used to activate the feature.

Your basic problem, as was stated in earlier posts on this thread, is that the PC Restore application resets the bootable partition to be the first partition and directs that the operating system for the "sealing" program be started.  The mini-OS that is required is DRMK, and for some reason the code for this OS sometimes becomes corrupt over the time that the computer is being used.  The solution is to use a partition editor to mark the correct partition for booting.  This information is contained in Mr. Goodell's document, and a step by step procedure is given in the post just ahead of yours.

The PC Restore feature is quite useful and quick when it operates properly, but is obviously a great problem when it does not.  Many PC owners have found it more expedient to simply use the Windows XP installation CD that used to ship with the computer to zero out the hard drive and start with a fresh installation of Windows XP.

Dell Forum member since 2005

0 Kudos

my screen is totally black no images but on top left side it is says: loading DRMK Version 8.00...

i need help please if anyone can assist me. emoticon.Sad.title

0 Kudos