Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2009 17:00

Logs me off before completely logging on...Help!!!

My computer got hit with a virus or spyware. After finally getting it removed and turning off the computer it wouldn't turn back on. It turns on but I can't log on, it logs me right back off before completely logging on. I assume the userinit.exe file got deleted. I found some ways to fix this but none of them worked. I tried putting in the dell disk but I can't get it to start from the disc. I can't get to the recovery console either. None of the instructions I have found yet have worked. Does anyone have any advice or am I doomed to needing a new computer?

Please help!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 12th, 2009 18:00

Always include the model PC and version of Windows in your posts.:emotion-5:

Ron

December 13th, 2009 08:00

Oh Sorry. Um, its a dell xps 400? And has Windows XP.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 13th, 2009 15:00

How are you trying to get it to boot from the XP CD?

Put the XP CD in the drive and close the drawer, reboot and immediately press F12. You should see a list of options. Select boot from the optical drive from the list. If it doesn't boot from the CD and you have 2 optical drives, put the disk in the other drive and try again.

If you still can't get it to boot from the CD, reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. In BIOS setup, change the boot order so that the optical drive is first. With the XP CD in the drive, save the change to the boot sequence and exit setup. It should boot from the CD. After you fix XP, you should go back into BIOS setup again and put your hard drive first in the boot sequence.

Ron

No Events found!