Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2009 10:00

Lost Vista Administrator's Password - is there a way to reset on our Dell Inspiron 1525?

Feel free to laugh but our child reset the Administrator's Password my spouse set on a new laptop, and what she (the child) thought she set it as - is NOT working.  To top it off, this laptap cannot recognize our new router that Verizon installed yesterday because we can't get it to do that next step.  We've tried all the obvious iterations of what she might have selected - not working. 

Does anyone have directions on how to reset this password maybe from a Safe mode start up.  We got advice on how to do it in XP but that's not working for the Vista set up.   Thanks much for your help - a frustrated PA mom.

3.7K Posts

April 1st, 2009 10:00

Hi PAFamily, Found this guide HERE about admin password. Hop it helps.

4 Posts

April 1st, 2009 11:00

Thanks will try it - but have already tried another trick for XP and found it didn't work with Vista.  Lovely. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 1st, 2009 14:00

PAFamily,

First here is a link on how to reset the administrator password.

Forgot the Administrators Password?

Second, the child should be on an account of their own, which should be restricted and this wouldn't happen.

Wireless router,

Can you connect now that you're in?

Please tell me more information. Make and model would be helpful.

Rick

4 Posts

April 1st, 2009 15:00

And as the heading suggests - this is a Vista system and not XP...

4 Posts

April 1st, 2009 15:00

Rick it's an Insprion 1525 and the child figured out the Adminstrator's password.  She has her own password, but thought it would be "funny" to hack into Daddy's password and her au pair's as well.  Now that she's seen it's not funny and been advised of the other implications of hacking (she's not even 8 yet) hopefully she's cured of that sort of mischief.  Meanwhile I'll suggest my hubby try your suggestion tonight.  You should see her in Power Point - these kids are amazing.

872 Posts

April 1st, 2009 16:00

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 1st, 2009 16:00

PAFamily,

The link I gave covers both operating systems but to make it easier, here's the link.

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

She'll still be able to do Power Point, just won't be able to change things and install programs.

Rick

January 19th, 2010 04:00

That sounds simple enough! A lot simpler that erasing and reinstalling!  I do not have another administrator account.  Do you have to have another administrator account?  If so I guess I am back to point A!

Good Luck!

Brooke

January 19th, 2010 04:00

that is what is wrong with me. I can not get on my administrator log in and can not reset or go back to reset to earlier status on computer.  So if you find anything out let me know!  I don't think there is a way to reset the administrator password from what all I have read.  You have to clean the computer somehow I believe is what I am understanding on reinstall.

Anyway,  I did exactly what your daughter did I believe!

thanks

Brooke

2 Posts

January 29th, 2013 13:00

i forgot my adnimstrators password can you help me

2 Posts

January 29th, 2013 14:00

yes

And as the heading suggests - this is a Vista system and not XP...yes

No Events found!