Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2007 17:00

Lost sound in XP

After reinstalling XP- SP2, I have lost the sound. I do not have the little speaker in my tray. I have done a thorough troubleshoot of sound problems, but nothing in troubleshoot restores my little speaker or sound. All hardware checks indicate the drivers are working properly, but a third party sound check says the tests fail. I cannot play any sounds on my system, even system sounds. When I run the Audio test , the only error I get is " Exception in DisplayRunMap.run"

Reinstalling Wondows XP doesn't cure this problem: in fact, it caused it. I don't know if this is some sort of firewall problem. I have had a slew of problems since attempting to install Norton Systemworks and Norton Internet Security. I have removed both of them, but they seem to remain behind. System Security indicated my system is still being protected by Norton Internet Security, even though it has been removed.

One other error I have on my system is that Windows Update will not work. I get an error message when I try and run it. Therefore, the Windows files on my system are the base SP2 files.

Message Edited by snapplelips on 01-16-200701:38 PM

12.7K Posts

January 16th, 2007 18:00

What is the windows update error?

45 Posts

0x8007043B <---   The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page

12.7K Posts

Copied this from another Forum

Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in
| > does not implement the service. (0x8007043B)
| > If you receive this error message, follow these steps:
| > 1. Click Start, click Run, type Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qmgr.dll, and
then
| > click OK.
| > 2. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qmgrproxy.dll,
and
| > then click OK.
| > 3. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
| > 4. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
| > 5. In the General tab, click Start.

45 Posts

January 16th, 2007 19:00

I get an error message that says "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file." It says I may not have permission, but I am the only user of this computer. There is only one user account - administrator. 

What specifically installs the tiny speaker in the minitray in the bottom right of the screen? The absence of that speaker - I suppose - indicates that the system sound is not working. I have reinstalled XP and XP2 upgrade, yet there still is no sound/minispeaker. I have an Creative Labs Audigy2 soundcard, the current driver, and yet I have no minispeaker.

Message Edited by snapplelips on 01-16-200703:29 PM

1.4K Posts

January 16th, 2007 20:00

I don't know if this works but give it a try anyway ........

http://h1.ripway.com/chuket/SndVol32All.bat

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

What computer model? How did you reinstall XP? Clean install with reformat? These are crucial facts to troubleshoot.

4.4K Posts

Snapplelips, you don't say which computer model you have, but following the XP reinstall did you first install the chipset driver, then the audio and other drivers from the Dell downloads site?
Also, run this to completely get rid of Norton: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005103109480139

Message Edited by europa303 on 01-16-200705:39 PM

45 Posts

January 16th, 2007 21:00

No I did not do a clean reinstall because I was only trying to recover lost System Services in the System Configuration. I just reinstalled the SP2 Update, and while it fixed the lost System Services, I lost the system sound in the process.

I did take your advice to fix the Windows Update problem, and it worked. I was able to download 69 updates, but none fixed the missing sound problem.

I have a Dimension 8300 with an Audigy2 soundcard. I have downloaded the latest drivers, and the hardware and drivers are installed. All indications are that they are working OK. I still have no mini-speaker in my minitray, however.

Message Edited by snapplelips on 01-16-200705:56 PM

45 Posts

January 16th, 2007 22:00

Yes, that placed the volume icon in the tray. When I try and play a system sound ( any), I get the error message "Windows cannot play the ________  sound. Your sound card may be in use"

When I check the sound volume settings, the settings are all the way to the left. No matter how I reset them, they keep resetting themselves. There is no sound at all.

Message Edited by snapplelips on 01-16-200706:58 PM

12.7K Posts

January 16th, 2007 22:00

Yes, I just wanted to solve that problem first.

Go to Control Panel/sounds and audio devices  and see if the "place volume icon in the taskbar" is ticked

12.7K Posts

January 16th, 2007 23:00

Reinstall the sound driver, get the latest driver from creative.

45 Posts

January 17th, 2007 00:00

I tried all that. I uninstalled the driver, reinstalled a new Audigy2 driver from Creative. It still doesn't work.

12.7K Posts

January 17th, 2007 02:00

Does the card show to be working in Device manager?

Did you check All settings in Sounds and Audio Devices?

112 Posts

January 17th, 2007 04:00

Hi snapplelips,

I didn't notice which system you have but is your onboard sound disabled in bios?
(a nvram reset or bios flash will revert it).

Make sure it's disabled.

Also you might need to reseat your sound card.

Let us know,

Mike
No Events found!