Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2011 06:00

Maintaining my laptop and desk top Dell computers

Do I need Dell PC Checkup (which just changed to System Mechanic) and Dell PC Tuneup?  Do they do basically the same thing?  I also have Uniblue's Registry Booster, SpeedUpMyPC and DriverScanner.  Do any of these do the same thing.  Thanks, PNeely

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2011 09:00

Registry programs such as what you have listed are all in the "snake oil" category. They basically do nothing, even though they show or say they do.

Basically all you need to do to any computer is run disc defrag about once a month.  Keep an up to date antivirus program, such as the free Microsoft Security Essentials (highly rated) and run regular scans.  Also have a malware/spyware program such as the free Malwarebytes program and keep it updated and run it about once a week.  BACKUP your hard drive (or at at minimum your user data) to an external (separate) hard drive or some other media regularly.  It's not for IF you ever needed it, it's for WHEN you will need it.  Windows 7 has a backup program but I use Acronis True Image and make full hard drive (all partitions) backups to a separate hard drive. 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 9th, 2011 12:00

Get Dell Support Centre this is free for Dimension, Inspiron, XPS, Studio and Vostro systems.

This should have increased functionality over Dell PC Tuneup.

I have only ever used Uniblues' SpeedUpMyPC (got a free version due to some internet promotion) and I didn't find it that great. While it worked, it always had the UAC prompt as soon as I logged into Windows (I guess I could of fixed that). I mean the software is meant to be for/marketed for users who don't know so much about their computers' maintainance. It seems to report almost every few seconds a problem, do a system scan, reboot do another system scan there are more problems that need fixed (to give the user an illusion that the program is doing alot). Finally its fixes seemed to speed some things as advertised but in conjunction mess up the installer of many other programs, they needed to "configure" when you launched them, thereby decreasing performance. If you look at the user reviews on cnet.com you can clearly see it is not as great a software as it would have you think. I am a bit vary of their software and I certainly wouldn't pay for it. If you have paid for it and experience no mishaps then I guess you are one of the lucky ones.

I would tell you to use Piriform's ccleaner and defraggler, these are free. Their other two products speccy and recuvur are also worthwhile having. ccleaner cleans out your system, also has a registry cleaner which has never damaged a system for me (unlike other registry cleaners), defraggler removes fragments from your harddrive which kinda get in the way, thereby recovering your systems performance. Checking what starts up using msconfig is also key for decent system performance. If you are uncomfortable using msconfig or don't know much about the processes use Mawarebytes' StartUpLite.

Finally while these softwares I mentioned are good at cleaning up your system. It is critical that you have good, clean security software and a decent up to date browser. I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials (free for home use), Windows 7 Firewall control (free version, available for xp and vista also) and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (free version). For a browser I use google chrome with the free adblock extension.

So for the likes of my system which has the following security software and browser. (I use msconfig) but instead can download and install Malwarebytes' StartUpLite, remove unecessary startup software (it gives a description of what it disables).

I run ccleaner say at least once a month or every 2 weeks (depending how much you use your computer), both the cleaner and registry cleaner. Then run defraggler, then update and run the free version of Malwarebytes' Antimalware. This with adequite security and an update browser should be ample for system maintainance. 

Note for a sufficiently fast enough system it is worth having the pro version of malwarebyte's antimalware (~£20 no expiry, plenty updates) running alongside whatever security software you choose.

8 Posts

July 10th, 2011 17:00

Thanks, Natakuc4, for the input. I appreciate it. PNeely

20.5K Posts

July 10th, 2011 21:00

Registry programs such as what you have listed are all in the "snake oil" category. They basically do nothing, even though they show or say they do.

Basically all you need to do to any computer is run disc defrag about once a month.  Keep an up to date antivirus program, such as the free Microsoft Security Essentials (highly rated) and run regular scans.  Also have a malware/spyware program such as the free Malwarebytes program and keep it updated and run it about once a week.  BACKUP your hard drive (or at at minimum your user data) to an external (separate) hard drive or some other media regularly.  It's not for IF you ever needed it, it's for WHEN you will need it.  Windows 7 has a backup program but I use Acronis True Image and make full hard drive (all partitions) backups to a separate hard drive. 

I agree with fireberd, although I'd add WinPatrol. If you'd like more input, you might try asking your question on the Virus & Spyware Forum. Scroll down to joe53's article: "Don't Pay for Software You Don't Need".

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 11th, 2011 05:00

I've got WinPatrol but didn't think of that since it is not a free program.

20.5K Posts

July 11th, 2011 08:00

it is not a free program.
WinPatrol still has a free version.

http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

No Events found!