Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2006 00:00

Messenger and Hotmail problems! help please

well I recently got a new computer, a dell, with a firewall, mcfee and everything, nothing of this was in my last computer. When I got this new computer, a Dimension E510 I began to have problems, It wont let me into my msn messenger nor let me check my hotmail, it also does not let me put up pictures in sites like photobucket.com. Does anyone know what might be causing this? and how to remove the problem? ...My firewall is not blocking anything and I uninstalled mcfee. Help please

-Elena

30 Posts

March 6th, 2006 23:00

one of my friends said that I might have to restart my whole computer as in erase everythin and start it bran new. Is that true? , he told me that because he dint see any other way of fixing it.

683 Posts

March 7th, 2006 00:00

What was the result of the virus scan test?  You've got to communicate to me, or else we'll both be in the dark.

Now we need to try and attempt to Repair the installation of Windows XP.  We will try a Repair first.  Note: we aren't reinstalling your operating system at this time.

Do you have a CD that came with your computer called Microsoft Windows XP Operating Reinstall or somesuch?

30 Posts

and how can i repair it?..the reinstallation was just an idea. I will try to repair it.

30 Posts

none of the files seamed infected.

Would the reinstallation really help? I mean what If I cant install all the programs back onto it? I only have the reinstallation CD and the CD for the monitor. And other cd's from a previous dell computer.

30 Posts

It sayd that some of the files could no be scaned, and theirs nothing in the chest. Yes I have the CD, the reinstalllation Cd, for Windows XP home edition.

30 Posts

March 7th, 2006 01:00

yes, I have time. But if I reinstall it then everytill shall be erased right?, even my windows media center?

30 Posts

Oh nevermind, the one I have in the computer is Professional and the Cd is homeEdition, I will ask a friend for the Cd and write back whenever I can, thank you so far.

30 Posts

I mean, EVERYTHING sha'll be erased*?* That and I have no driver cd's. No other cd's came with it. But those of the ones that I posted before.

683 Posts

Like I wrote earlier, we'll try a Repair first.

To repair, simply insert your Windows XP reinstallation CD.  When the options come up, be sure to select Repair.

Let me know how that goes.

683 Posts

A reformat of the hard drive would mean that everything is erased, yes.  You would need CDs to restore programs back, or download from the internet.

30 Posts

Or I guess i'll return the computer or send it back, not sure . I was told you cant return it without the box.

30 Posts

It said that the windows version on my computer is newer than the version on the CD. It sais that if I risk that all thefiles and settings of the computer cannot be recovered.

683 Posts

It would surely be easier to reinstall Windows than to send the entire machine back.  Keep in mind that for a return and credit, Dell must receive it within 21 days after you ordered it.

11.9K Posts

March 7th, 2006 16:00

@Elenacarmona wrote:
Or I guess i'll return the computer or send it back, not sure . I was told you cant return it without the box.

To add to a recent post, simply click on it, pick Message Options, then Edit.

225 Posts

March 7th, 2006 19:00

Hi,
I think from her original post all she needed to do was open the privacy section of McAfee and add Hotmail and Messenger to her allowed sites.
No Events found!