Porten
1 Nickel

Microsoft 8 fresh install?

Hi all,

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 15R i7-4500U with windows 8.  It arrived in the mail a week ago, I installed Win 8 and then upgraded to Win8.1 from Microsoft.com. 

Then I noticed Dell Back-Up and Recovery ALERT telling me that my "protection index is at risk". 

With a lot of help from a member of this forum we were able to find out that my PBR recovery partition is apparently damaged or was deleted.  Quite possibly due to my stupidity I may have deleted it and am willing to admit that......Doh!  So I don't think I can do a reset, can I?

I need get information about a fresh Windows install?  Or is it possible for me to buy the actual dick from Microsoft?  So, I can do a reset.  Then I assume it would create a new recovery partition?

Any help is greatly appreciated

M.P.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Microsoft 8 fresh install?

You can try using the Windows 8 disc that came with this computer to return your system to windows 8 , and if you dont have it try to call Dell Tech Hotline

1 800 456 33 55 , tell to the operator technical support then it will ask you for your service tag or express service code , always use the service code

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

You can try using the Windows 8 disc that came with this computer to return your system to windows 8

Dell don't provide any home system with Windows 8 installation media. There are even no customisation options to get the disk with the system.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Porten
1 Nickel

Yeah, it's true, I wasn't given a Windows CD.  It's too bad.

I can try to call this number, I am living overseas though, so I wish I could find an e-mail contact, but I can't either.

Here's hoping the 1-800 number works for overseas.

Thanks so much for the help guys,

M.P.

0 Kudos