Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2010 09:00

Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point

Hello,

First let me tell you about my system.   This is an Inspiron E1705/9400 laptop with the T7400 Core 2 Duo processor running at 2.16 GHZ.   It has 2 GB of RAM and a brand new 500GB Hitachi Travelstar hard drive (7200 RPM).   It also has the GeForce Go 7900 GS video card.    It previously had Windows XP Professional (32 bit) and worked fine.   But, I have three computers in my home and home office and would like them all to work better together on my wired home network, so I am upgrading all three to Windows 7.   My two desktops (one is Dimension XPS 420 and the other is Dimension XPS 430) seem like they will be no problem to upgrade to Windows 7.   But, this laptop was not listed on Dell's Windows 7 Compatibility List.   However, the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor that I downloaded and ran seemed to say that it was OK to do a clean install of 32 bit Windows 7 and it only had a few minor concerns, where it said to check for updated drivers from the manufacturer.   The laptop originally came with a 100GB hard drive.   For my use, that is getting very small, so I decided to get the same exact 7200 RPM drive in the 500 GB size.   This will allow me to do a clean install of the 32 bit Windows 7 OS on the new hard drive and not have to wipe the old drive to do it.   I can just hold onto the old HD and stick it back in whenever I might need to get something off of it.

So, here is my minor problem.   After transferring a few needed items off the old hard drive, I installed the new 500GB drive and did a clean install of the 32 bit version of Windows 7.    I'm happy to report that I had virtually no problems with the installation and everything appears to be working fine.   It seems a little bit more zippy than it was before and I haven't run into anything so far that doesn't seem to be working.   I have gone through most of the features and most everything looks great.   But, there is one minor problem showing in the Device Manager.   At least, I think it's a minor problem, but maybe someone else can give me some input as to whether it is or not.

In the Device Manager List, there is a category now called "Other Devices" and the icon shows a little white circle with a question mark in it.    When you expand this category, you see two identical entries that say   "Base System Device"  and the icon has a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it.     I know from previous experience that it's not a good thing to see items in the Device Manager that have a yellow circle with an exclamation point.   I have clicked on both of these and neither one really tells you what the device is or who made it or who's website you would go to for a driver.    Under the general tab, it has the following information:

Device Type    -    Other Devices

Manufacturer   -   Unknown

Location     -         PCI Bus 3,  Device 1,  Function 3

Under Device Status, it says the following:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Both of the entries appear to be almost the same.....but, not exactly.   The second one has the location

listed as  PCI Bus 3, Device 1, Function 2.........instead of Function 1.   That seems to be about the only difference.

I tried the button for updating the driver, but that doesn't seem to work.   No matter whether you tell it to look on your

computer or to search the internet for a new driver, it doesn't seem to find anything.     As I mentioned in the beginning,

the system seems to be working fine.......but, since I don't know what this device is or does, I might be missing something.

It drives me crazy just to have these yellow circles with the exclamation point hanging out in my Device Manager.  

I could really use some help here.    Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bryan Ray  (Richmond, VA)

16 Posts

December 31st, 2014 09:00

BTW, I just downloaded and installed the driver pack from that ftp location and it worked, even for Windows 8.1 - 64 bit.

Thanks Steve!

Roger

14.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2010 09:00

Download and install THIS FILE. do not use the download manager. use the download via web browser option

38 Posts

January 2nd, 2010 11:00

Sorry, I replied to the wrong one.  

Thanks.   That did the trick just like you said it would.   I do have two questions though.

First off, what were those system devices that this driver was installed for?   Secondly, should I

be concerned that in the middle of installing this update, I got a message asking me if I wanted to

continue since I already had the best driver for this device?    Since I knew I was having the problem

with the Device Manager and you seemed to know what you were doing, I told it to go ahead and install

the update.     Like I said, it definitely did the job and everything now looks great in the Device Manager........

but, I do worry that I might have installed an older driver that might not be as up to date.   Any help would

be appreciated ........again.

Bryan

P.S.  two more quick questions.......

1  -   why download through via the browser and not through the download mgr.......wouldn't it work the same?

2  -   on a question such as what I had that involved both the new OS (windows 7) and was specific to a dell

laptop, wouldn't you get a much better chance of getting a good answer if you posted in both groups?? 

I mean, don't some folks just read one and not the other??

14.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2010 14:00

the driver is for the card reader. Some how win 7 only installs a small part of the Ricoh utiltiles. I think that message was for the stuff that was installed by 7. Dont worry if you get one pushed by windows update take that one and you will be fully up to date.

1. the download manager is the most buggiest thing Dell has come up with in a while and hardly works. there are more reports of it not working than working.

2. You should only really post in the forum that is most applicable to your issue. Posting in multiple places can and has made it hard for members to offer help.

38 Posts

January 2nd, 2010 15:00

Thanks again for all the help.   I don't know what I'd do sometimes without help from knowledgeable guys on this forum, like yourself.

Bryan

1 Message

October 1st, 2013 07:00

I located the driver at ftp://ftp.dell.com/Browse_For_Drivers/Laptops/XPS/XPS%20M1730/index.html.

Even though I was working on a Dell Inspirion E1705.  This driver worked for Windows 7 64-bit. On the webpage look for the Chipset - Driver and the the Ricoh R5C832, R5C843, R5C833, v.503, A02, dated 02/15/2008.  The Vista 64-bit driver works.

Good Luck,

Steve

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 17:00

I located the driver at ftp://ftp.dell.com/Browse_For_Drivers/Laptops/XPS/XPS%20M1730/index.html.

Even though I was working on a Dell Inspirion E1705.  This driver worked for Windows 7 64-bit. On the webpage look for the Chipset - Driver and the the Ricoh R5C832, R5C843, R5C833, v.503, A02, dated 02/15/2008.  The Vista 64-bit driver works.
Good Luck,

Steve

Use the driver here:

http://ftp.dell.com/chipset/Ricoh_R5C833_A00_R240788.exe 

It is a Windows 7 driver and works with the card reader.

Use the other drivers listed in this pdf (I need to update this so its not just in pdf):

http://philipyip.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/inspiron-laptops-unofficial-drivers-windows-7-64-bit1.pdf

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 31st, 2014 14:00

I updated the drivers here for Windows 7 and 8.1:

[View:dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/.../inspiron-laptops-windows-7]

1 Message

May 30th, 2016 10:00

Hello - I just got this Laptop out of mothballs for my girlfriend and loaded Win7 on it and am having the same problem with Device Manager showing no driver for the card reader. In your response on 2010 you had said to "download this file" but there was no file there. I can only assume that the forum lost it over the years, but was hoping you could send me a link for that file so I can get this laptop up and running.

Appreciate your help.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 1st, 2016 15:00

No Events found!