Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2009 22:00

Multimedia audio controller& PCI Input Device are marked with yellow !

i recently upgraded from xp to vista.

i have dell dimension 4600.

and pc produces no sound!!!!

Multimedia audio controller & PCI Input Device are marked with yellow in Device manager.

i really need help with that!

In Device manager,

under sound, video and game controllers, i have SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio (says woking fine).

what can I do to make it sound??

please please help me!!!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 15th, 2009 03:00

The multimedia audio controller is part of the sound drivers.  Dell does not support Vista on that model (they do not have Vista drivers) so the SoundMax driver you have may be the problem.  In addition, did you install the Intel chipset drivers? they MUST be installed before installing device drivers, such as sound, video etc.  (The correct install sequence is (1) Install Windows (Vista), (2) Install chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers including sound, video, etc.  Missing the chipset drivers MAY be the reason for the PCI Input device error.

Others that have upgraded 4600's to Vista have had to install a separate PCI sound card to get the sound working or working properly.

4.6K Posts

January 15th, 2009 07:00

You should always use drivers provided by Dell themselves wherever possible of course, but there are (four years old!) SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio drivers available here which are apparently compatible with Vista, if you want to try them?

7 Posts

January 15th, 2009 08:00

thanks for your reply.

however, when i install Windows Vista, they automatically install device drivers so i have no idea whether they installed chipset drivers or not.

i think they should...

7 Posts

i tried to install the driver you provided.. but it says, my sound card driver is up to date...no need to update.

this is so confusing!!!

somebody!! please help!!

7 Posts

i will try to install that driver you provided....hope it works!

1.7K Posts

January 15th, 2009 11:00

The list of Dim4600 drivers for XP is:

• Intel 865PE chipset driver
  • AGP 4X Video Driver
  • ADI 1980 integrated audio driver
  • Intel 10/100 Integrated NIC driver
  • ProSet II NIC Diagnostic Utility

You might check to see if you can find ADI 1980 audio drivers for Vista from ADI (since Dell doesn't appear to have them).  I can't say for sure they will work, but at worst you just uninstall them if they don't.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 15th, 2009 12:00

When you installed Vista it DID NOT install the chipset drivers, and you will have to install them.  Chipset drivers are hardware dependent (either Intel or AMD depending on what the user has and specific to the chipset that is on the motherboard).

HERE is the Dell Intel Chipset drivers for the 4600 and Windows XP.  I can't guarantee they will work in Vista but many times the chipset drivers are not OS dependent.

As I noted in my original response, other 4600 users that upgraded to Vista had to install a (Vista compatible) PCI sound card to get sound.

February 9th, 2009 14:00

I just put a hdd from another computer that had an AMD processsor into my dimension 4600 and i am having the same problem.

It's asking for the same driver. Has anyone figured out where to get it from? Do I need to add the chipset drivers as well

since this hdd was setup with an AMD formerlly?

thanks

1.7K Posts

February 9th, 2009 14:00

You can get the latest Dell drivers from the Dell support website.

February 9th, 2009 17:00

Do I need to uninstall the Nvidia chipset drivers and the drivers from my asus motherboard before installing the dell drivers?

1 Message

June 3rd, 2010 01:00

Here is something useful, this is what I had to do. I decided I wanted to take my Xp machine and load Windows 7, so of course, Vista had to be loaded and then Windows 7. I figured out if you get a clean USB drive and load all of the Drivers on the Device that you are needing in order to make the Device Manager happy and to have the computer run properly. Open device manager once drivers are downloaded, place the USB Device in the USB Port and open it. Send the Drivers to a Location to where there are not many folders to search through. Then go to each Yellow ! / ? mark and right click and choose to update driver, on the next screen it should ask to look for Drivers on the internet or on PC, Choose PC not Internet. Then after selecting PC, MAKE SURE THAT you set the settings to search in the location as to where you sent the DRIVERS (NOT Drive C;/ , E:/ or any other USB Drive, nor My Documents). Then the last step is to click the folder that contains the DRIVERS and the sub folders and click OK or Search or Locate. Something of that nature. Then a box will come up saying searching computer for device driver. after that another box will pop up and say, Device Driver was successfully installed, there are no conflicts with the device and driver. to this to all Devices that have the yellow out beside of them. Good Luck and I hope this will help a little   

No Events found!