Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2008 15:00

Multiple Administrator Folders in Documents and Settings

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I bought an Inspiron 530 last month. I have had problems booting up and had to restore my system a few times. Hopefully, that issue is resolved. Now I just noticed that I have 4 Administrator Folders in my Documents and Settings folder. They are different in sizes and I am not sure which one I need to keep. Can I delete 3 of them and which one should I keep? They are labeled Administrator, Administrator.Andrea, Administrator.Andrea.000, and Administrator.Andrea.001. The last one is 18.8MB and the others are around 6.9MB.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 8th, 2008 18:00

Sounds like you've got multiple Andrea user accounts all with Administrator privileges. If you want to get ridof the extras, you'll need to take ownership of the files belonging to each account in just one Andrea account, first. But leave the plain "Administrator" account alone.

Log into the Andrea account you want to keep and take ownership of the files or folders belonging to the other Andrea accounts:

1. Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.
  2. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click theS ecurity tab.
  3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  4. In the Change owner to box, click the new owner.
  5. (Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Notes

• To open Windows Explorer, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
  • <>If you are not joined to a domain and want to view the Security tab, see To display the Security tab.
  • You can transfer ownership in two ways:
    • The current owner can grant the Take ownership permission to others, allowing those users to take ownership at any time.
    • An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer. However, the administrator cannot transfer ownership to others. This restriction keeps the administrator accountable.

Ron
Message Edited by RoHe on 02-08-2008 12:10 PM
No Events found!