oldyeller38
1 Nickel

Multiply empty folders

I have Windows Home Premuim 7, 64bit which has 26 empty folders listed under username\appdata\local, in the left pane 'folder view'. A couple of examples: {0A8D4E1B-1EBA-4E9B-BD00-D1A574F7CA5E}; {3DB49BE1-3420-4D5D-82D3-8F68A1714FBE}. Dates of creation range from 7/30/2011 to 8/11/2011. This is a new computer with full version 7 which I installed. The folders don't create any problems, but being new to 7, I was curious as to what these folders were for. They appear to me to have a connection to the registry as they look almost identical to registry entries in XP. I would like to know if these are safe to delete?
Jay

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RoHe
6 Indium

Re: Multiply empty folders

Are you sure those folders are empty? Or are the files in them just marked as hidden files?

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
oldyeller38
1 Nickel

Ron, In advanced settings under Hidden Files and Folders, I've got 'show hidden files, folders, or drives' ticked. I don't know if Dell still has a provision to include screen captures in a post like days gone by which would be very beneficial in posts. The old addage '1 picture is worth a thousand words'.

I guess they still have it.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Don't know why those folders are empty. But since they're not taking up any significant disk space, just leave 'em alone. emoticon.Wink.title

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Jim C
2 Iron

I hate to barge in here but am curious...are you running any

Windows Live Essentials?

0 Kudos
oldyeller38
1 Nickel

Come to think of it Jim, I do have Windows Live Essentials. I had been using Outlook as my email client, but didn't like it cause it had too much baggage associatted with it that I didn't need nor want. I came from OE running in XP which served my purposes just fine; not having half or more of my screen taken up with garbage like Yahoo, AOL, & Hotmail has. I downloaded Windows Live Essentials to get Windows Live Mail to try as my email client; which I like much better than Outlook. I use 2 Hotmail, 1 MSN, & 1 email client associated with my ISP. When  I access the new, Live email account, I have access to all 4 mail accounts under 1 umbrella; nice!
I've come to the conclusion these were some temporary folder's, created with some downloads. I made a folder & moved all those empty ones into it and moved to a jump drive to see if it would have any effect on my system. So far everythings running great.
Before I moved everything to the temporary folder on the jump drive, I did a search of 3 of the folder names in the registry; came up empty: then did a search from start\search; still nothing. So I'll leave them sit for a week or 2 on the jump drive & see what happens.

0 Kudos
Jim C
2 Iron

There is a good chance that Windows Live Mail is causing the problem but it really could be other parts of Live Essentials as well.

The following sites will describe it better than I can.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/149980-empty-folders-appdata-local.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/empty-folders-since-i-have-upgraded-t...

Please let us know what you think.

0 Kudos
oldyeller38
1 Nickel

Thanks for the links Jim; after reading all the posts on those 2 I never noticed those folders until I started using Windows Live mail. I still prefer it to Outlook for my purposes. I wonder how many service patches it will take to get 7 as stable as XP SP3?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Wow.  I'm sorry for the trouble(? - if it is even that big of a deal) you are having, but most would argue that 7 is already as stable as XP SP3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jim C
2 Iron

Thanks oldyeller for the feedback and I suspect that with all the noise MS will soon 'enhance' it. I am one of those who avoid looking back although I do remember you from the turn of the century, welcome back.

0 Kudos