Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 7th, 2012 08:00

My Dimension E521 won't boot up. \system32\hal.dill file missing

Hi Everyone,

My Dimension E521 won't boot up. I get an error message saying that windows can't start because the following file is missing or corrupt. \system32\hal.dill

I have tried to reboot with two discs that came with the computer.

1/ Dell Dimension E521 Resource CD (Drivers and Utilities)

2/ Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre Version 2005 with update rollup 2 (Operating System)

This hasn't worked as the system does not appear to be configured to look for the disc. I have tried but can’t get to use F2 or F12 functions during the Bios start up, as the computer is too fast and it has completed it task even before the screen shows the progress bar. I left the power lead disconnected overnight and this slowed the initial process but I still didn’t have any success.

I want to try the XP chkdsk program first but I am at a loss as to I can get to a point where I can boot from the disc.

I fear the worst for my PC.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Eddie

October 7th, 2012 08:00

Hi EddyGuy,

You may try to repair the boot configuration using the Windows XP Recovery Console. Note: The Windows XP CD is required to perform the following steps.

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive and restart the computer.
  2. As soon as you see the Dell logo, press F12 once. You have to press the key while the Dell logo is still on the screen. If you miss it and the system continues to the Windows logo, restart the system and try again.
  3. In the One Time Boot menu, use the down arrow key to select CD/DVD drive and press .
  4. Press the when prompted ‘Press any key to boot from CD’.
  5. At the Welcome to Setup screen press to start the Recovery Console.
  6. If prompted, select the number corresponding to the Windows installation you want to log into (usually C:\WINDOWS) and press .
  7. Enter the Administrator password, if any, and press . If the administrator password is blank, just press Enter.
  8. At the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, type cd \ and press .  There is one space between cd and \ (the backslash).
  9. Type bootcfg /rebuild and press . There is one space between bootcfg and / (the slash) and no space between / and rebuild.
  10. When prompted Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All), type y, and press .
  11. When Enter Load Identifier appears, type Windows XP Media Center for Windows XP Media Center and press .
  12. When Enter OS Load Options appears, type /NoExecute=OptIn /fastdetect and press .
  13. Remove the Windows XP CD from the CD drive.
  14. Type Exit and press to reboot into Windows XP.

Let me know if you need further information or assistance. I will be glad to help.

2 Posts

October 8th, 2012 16:00

Hi DELL-Gaurav Sh,

Great news, my PC will start up again. At first it didn't work but then I started looking a bit closer. I noticed that there was no sign of activity from my keyboard. While I had unplugged everything I didn't notice that my mouse and keyboard shared the same USB hub. Once I had plugged them separately in to the PC the keyboard "Beeped" at the F12 command and I could boot from the disc drive. I followed your instructions and started the Recovery Console.

The only issue I have is the PC is trying to recognize the keyboard and mouse as new hardware. The wizard comes up with an option but there is a warning that it is not recommended to be used with Windows XP and may cause problem with some applications.

Should I use the Dell Dimension E521 Resource CD (Drivers and Utilities) disc?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Eddie.

October 9th, 2012 05:00

I am glad that the system is booting up again.

For the keyboard and mouse issue, I would suggest that you reinstall the USB root hubs by performing the steps below:

1. Click on Start.
  2. Click Run.
  3. Type devmgmt.msc in the Run box and press enter. The device manager will open.
  4. Right click on + sign next to ‘USB Universal Bus Controllers’ to expand the category.
  5. Right click on each entry listed under USB Universal Bus Controllers and click on ‘Uninstall’.
  6. Click on ‘Yes’ on the security warning.

Once all the USB hubs have been uninstalled, close the device manager and restart the system.

You may also try connecting the keyboard and mouse to the front USB ports and see if that makes any difference.

If you continue facing the issue, try installing the latest version of chipset drivers from the following link:

http://dell.to/Ra46lQ

Let me know if you need any information or assistance. I will be happy to help.

No Events found!