Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2008 19:00

My PC won't Update Windows

I have had this computer system over a year! It has NEVER updated any windows update, I just got hooked to the dell forum recently.  Windows update continuously says installing updates, then it switches back to check for updates. IT'S A NEVER ENDING CYCLE!!!! Everyone of my update installations have failed, recommended, important, ALL of them!!! Help

I have an xps 410, Vista32 bit home pemium

387 Posts

October 28th, 2008 20:00

Hi rbwilcox. :smileyhappy: If you are trying to install multiple updates, instead try to do one at a time beginning with the oldest. There may be a chance that the Windows Update file itself is corrupted but try this first and let us know what happens.

14.4K Posts

October 28th, 2008 21:00

For a start try running a system file checker

20 Posts

October 28th, 2008 21:00

my computer won't install ANYTHING windows!!!! it downloads the file just fine, then it tries to install it but it is never successful.  I just tried to download Windows live, and that failed.  There has got to be a missing file or driver my computer doesn't have.  Please help!!!

387 Posts

October 28th, 2008 22:00

Ok, use this page to create a sfcdetails.txt file. Once created you can post the lines of that file that show which files that the system file checker was unable to repair. It's easiest to delete the lines from within wordpad/notepad (whichever one opens the file) for the files that were either repaired or verified (i.e. needed no repair) and then post the list of non-repaired files.

20 Posts

October 28th, 2008 22:00

did a system scan and it revealed that I do have some corrupt files, and Microsoft could not repair some of them. it gave me a Cbs log, whatever that is. What should I do now?

12K Posts

October 29th, 2008 04:00

Copy each of these separately into the run and hit enter and then try the updates again:

%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wuauserv.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wups.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe msxml2.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll

387 Posts

October 29th, 2008 06:00

While I agree with JM on the idea, the execution may need to be refined a bit. This is based on a search of my system and also with the information gleaned from winvistaclub.com's article about being unable to update Windows using Windows Update. I've also included the name of each file in parentheses but you only want to enter each line up to and including the .dll into the Run box (Click Start and then type Run in the Search box/press Enter/then type each line into the Run box).

%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll       (Windows Update Client API)

%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll   (Windows Update Agent)

%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll     (Windows Update Client User Experience)

%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wudriver.dll    (Windows Update WUDriver Stub)

%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wups.dll        (Windows Update client proxy stub)

%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wups2.dll       (Windows Update client proxy stub 2)

%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll    (Windows Update Vista Web Control)

I would stop with these seven files and see if it does the trick. I have personally tried to reregister the msxml files before and had problems. After looking around a bit I found that I wasn't the only one that had problems with those files. The other two files (qmgr.dll and qmgrprxy.dll) have to do with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service). JM, if you can fill us in on those two it would be great. :smileyhappy:

12K Posts

October 29th, 2008 07:00

Backgrounf Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is the process by whihc downloads are conducted.  By default, (I believe), it is set to manual instaed of automatic to prevent rogue downloads. 

In this user's case, some sort of malware could have corrupted those .dll's and that why they need to be re-registered.

387 Posts

I was thinking of the malware angle myself. Any idea why the msxml files refuse to be modified on mine? No malware on my system and yet I get the permission error. It's strange because I only have one user account and it's the admin account. I'm wondering if there is a service that needs to be shut down in order to reregister them but I did make sure that no other programs were running. However, come to think of it there may have been some in the background that begin in Startup. I do think I may have a glitch because I have had other users do things that I tried and when I did them I had to run them as administrator while they didn't. Strange. Perhaps I have a poltergeist or a gremlin. :smileyhappy:

Did you notice the minor changes in the filenames between our two lists? I was wondering as I read yours if you may have modified some of them at one point.

12K Posts

That list is from an Enterpise environment that reports to WSUS instead of directly to Microsoft.  That may be where those last two files are coming from.

With a WSUS environment you also use this command to make the client immediately report:

wuauclt /detectnow  (from a Run Command)

20 Posts

October 29th, 2008 12:00

Thanks soo much for your help, Should I run everyone before I try to update, or should I run one by one then afterwards try to update every single time?

20 Posts

October 29th, 2008 12:00

I really appreciate your help, and for sticking with my problem. Thanks a bunch, I'm:smileyhappy: going to try these programs and let you know. My fingers are crossed  :smileyhappy

387 Posts

October 29th, 2008 13:00

RB, you've lost me a little bit. Who are the other users? As I mentioned in my post with the list of the files to register it would be best to stop after the files that start with wu. When it comes to the last two files, the ones that JM mentioned are the BITS files, I sort of expected that to fail because that service is most likely running on your system already. I don't believe that it's possible to register files that are already in use. That may also be the case with the msxml files. JM is looking at it from an enterprise perspective and that may be making a difference in what we're seeing. In case you were curious, the WSUS that JM mentioned stands for Windows Server Update Services and is enterprise based.

Edit: Also, be sure before you use the Run command that you have closed all other applications. That is especially true if you have Windows Update open. That may be why you are unable to register the files if you have Windows Update running already.

Message Edited by williamkidd on 10-29-2008 11:03 AM
Message Edited by williamkidd on 10-29-2008 11:06 AM

20 Posts

okay guys, I ran all of the cmd prompts, only three succeeded that was "wuapi.dll" , "wups2.dll" and "qmgrprxy.dll" all the others fail to load. Some Stating that it loaded but the call to Dll Register Server failed with  error code  "0x80070005"

It seems that my DELL Register Server  has malfunctioned.

20 Posts

I tried the other users and the extra ones that you listed.  They all failed except for one "wups2.dll"  They all stated DELL register Server could not be found with error code 0x80070005
No Events found!