Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2008 19:00

My PC won't Update Windows

I have had this computer system over a year! It has NEVER updated any windows update, I just got hooked to the dell forum recently.  Windows update continuously says installing updates, then it switches back to check for updates. IT'S A NEVER ENDING CYCLE!!!! Everyone of my update installations have failed, recommended, important, ALL of them!!! Help

I have an xps 410, Vista32 bit home pemium

20 Posts

October 29th, 2008 15:00

i'm sorry I meant the other user who gave me command prompts to run. I ran his as well as yours. I'll go back and try just the ones you listed to see what happens  THANKS!

20 Posts

October 29th, 2008 16:00

okay I tried only yours williamkidd, and it says that DellRegister Server failed with error code 0x80070005, or it would not load. and yes I did close all programs before running.

And it also said:

Make sure binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with binary or dependent .DLL files.

This is all another language to me, I am a techinical novice.

387 Posts

October 30th, 2008 01:00

RB, there may be something else going on but did you try to run Windows Update again after you went through that list the last time? In regards to that something else, have you had any issues while surfing the net such as pop-ups, slow speeds, being redirected to sites other than those that you are trying to surf to?

20 Posts

October 30th, 2008 02:00

how do you do that, off load the data and perform a clean install?

20 Posts

yes I am running the windows that came with the system. As far as I know I haven't had to validate, but that doesn't mean anyone else in my household has.

387 Posts

Are you running multiple profiles on your system, RB? And are you logged on under an Administrator profile? If not, that may keep you from updating or am I wrong about this, JM?

387 Posts

That's one of the reasons that I like the Dell Forums. There are a lot of knowledgeable people that volunteer their time to provide answers even after the warranty runs out. A lot of computer manufacturers don't have that type of resource.

Are you running the Windows that came with your system? If so, did you have any problems validating Windows at any time?

387 Posts

I considered that as a suggestion but usually I go with that as a last resort, especially if someone hasn't performed an OS reinstall (or Image Restore) before. In this case, I would try running the Microsoft Genuine Advantage diagnostics first and then seriously consider the Image Restore. That error code pops up a lot in reference to the MGA.

12K Posts

If the issue has existed that long, quit beating your head against the wall.  Off load the data, and perform a clean install.

20 Posts

Yes I have tried to run "update" again, it still doesn't work, Update also says that it must install Window Installer to install any updates.  That doesn't install either. I have even went to the windows site to manually download the Windows installer and that doesn't work either.

As far as the internet, yes is slow but not overly so, no pop-ups, have a pop-up blocker, virus scanner, firewall, Anti-spyware and adware all installed on the computer.

This problem has existed since I bought the computer, tried to fix it back then by researching the internet, found out then that others had the same problem but no one had any answers, or I didn't find it.  Back then I got the error code 0x8007005, the problem, I beginning to believe, already existed on my computer. too bad, I didn't know back then what I know now, before the warranty ran out.

20 Posts

October 30th, 2008 03:00

I've heard of that but my question is would  I have to re-install everything on my computer, i.e. printer, computer protections such as firewall, spyware/adware protection, virus detection?

387 Posts

If everything passed without you having to use the Resolve Now button then it's time to gear up for the Image Restore. Mine failed the last two tests, the ones about the MGA plugins, but I don't have any problems updating and I know it's genuine so I'm not too worried about those. If you did have to click Resolve Now then run Windows Update again to see if it made a difference.

JM likes doing things the hard way. :smileyhappy: Plus, we're dealing with Vista Home Premium, not XP. Yes, RB, anything that was not on the system when you received it will have to be reinstalled. However, the PC Restore feature does all the heavy lifting for you which is the reason that I prefer that method. You will probably have to set up the additional profiles again as well.

387 Posts

What JM is saying is that you will have to backup all of your data such as e-mail, documents, spreadsheets, music, etc. that you've created onto some type of backup media/device (i.e. external hard drive, USB flash drive, writeable CD or DVD) and then perform what's called, in this case, a Dell PC Restore (p. 74 of your Owner's Manual). You don't have to backup any applications that you've installed as long as you have the installation CD/DVD or if you downloaded them online (it's usually best to redownload those). The PC Restore reformats (clears) your hard drive and then reinstalls the operating system (Windows) and anything else back to the state that it was in when you received it.

387 Posts

Having to backup everything is one reason that I really like the external hard drive. I find it much easier than the other methods although a USB flash drive is nice also depending on the storage amount.

When it comes to e-mail if you using some form of webmail (Yahoo, Gmail, etc.) and you keep it stored on their servers then there is nothing to worry about. I actually download (using Pop) mine to Windows Mail so that the e-mails are actually stored on my computer.

Yes, it can be a time-consuming process and in this case it may turn out to be a family project because everyone will want to make sure that their data is backed up.

20 Posts

oh my! I won't be doing that tonight. I start first thing tomorrow and keep you both posted. thanks!! I don't have to back up e-mails from off of the internet do I i.e. yahoo, hotmail? just the ones from windows mail or outlook right?
No Events found!