jmwills
5 Osmium

Re: My PC won't Update Windows

That list is from an Enterpise environment that reports to WSUS instead of directly to Microsoft.  That may be where those last two files are coming from.

With a WSUS environment you also use this command to make the client immediately report:

wuauclt /detectnow  (from a Run Command)

0 Kudos
rbwilcox
1 Nickel

Thanks soo much for your help, Should I run everyone before I try to update, or should I run one by one then afterwards try to update every single time?
0 Kudos
rbwilcox
1 Nickel

I really appreciate your help, and for sticking with my problem. Thanks a bunch, I'mSmiley Happy going to try these programs and let you know. My fingers are crossed  :smileyhappy
0 Kudos
rbwilcox
1 Nickel

okay guys, I ran all of the cmd prompts, only three succeeded that was "wuapi.dll" , "wups2.dll" and "qmgrprxy.dll" all the others fail to load. Some Stating that it loaded but the call to Dll Register Server failed with  error code  "0x80070005"

It seems that my DELL Register Server  has malfunctioned.

0 Kudos
rbwilcox
1 Nickel

I tried the other users and the extra ones that you listed.  They all failed except for one "wups2.dll"  They all stated DELL register Server could not be found with error code 0x80070005
0 Kudos
williamkidd
2 Iron

RB, you've lost me a little bit. Who are the other users? As I mentioned in my post with the list of the files to register it would be best to stop after the files that start with wu. When it comes to the last two files, the ones that JM mentioned are the BITS files, I sort of expected that to fail because that service is most likely running on your system already. I don't believe that it's possible to register files that are already in use. That may also be the case with the msxml files. JM is looking at it from an enterprise perspective and that may be making a difference in what we're seeing. In case you were curious, the WSUS that JM mentioned stands for Windows Server Update Services and is enterprise based.

Edit: Also, be sure before you use the Run command that you have closed all other applications. That is especially true if you have Windows Update open. That may be why you are unable to register the files if you have Windows Update running already.

Message Edited by williamkidd on 10-29-2008 11:03 AM
Message Edited by williamkidd on 10-29-2008 11:06 AM

In Training at SpywareHammer Academy

Penny, everything is better with Bluetooth. - The Big Bang Theory

You can't believe everything that you read on the Internet. That's how World War I got started. - PS3 commercial

0 Kudos
rbwilcox
1 Nickel

i'm sorry I meant the other user who gave me command prompts to run. I ran his as well as yours. I'll go back and try just the ones you listed to see what happens  THANKS!
0 Kudos
rbwilcox
1 Nickel

okay I tried only yours williamkidd, and it says that DellRegister Server failed with error code 0x80070005, or it would not load. and yes I did close all programs before running.

And it also said:

Make sure binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with binary or dependent .DLL files.

This is all another language to me, I am a techinical novice.

0 Kudos
williamkidd
2 Iron

RB, there may be something else going on but did you try to run Windows Update again after you went through that list the last time? In regards to that something else, have you had any issues while surfing the net such as pop-ups, slow speeds, being redirected to sites other than those that you are trying to surf to?

In Training at SpywareHammer Academy

Penny, everything is better with Bluetooth. - The Big Bang Theory

You can't believe everything that you read on the Internet. That's how World War I got started. - PS3 commercial

0 Kudos
rbwilcox
1 Nickel

Yes I have tried to run "update" again, it still doesn't work, Update also says that it must install Window Installer to install any updates.  That doesn't install either. I have even went to the windows site to manually download the Windows installer and that doesn't work either.

As far as the internet, yes is slow but not overly so, no pop-ups, have a pop-up blocker, virus scanner, firewall, Anti-spyware and adware all installed on the computer.

This problem has existed since I bought the computer, tried to fix it back then by researching the internet, found out then that others had the same problem but no one had any answers, or I didn't find it.  Back then I got the error code 0x8007005, the problem, I beginning to believe, already existed on my computer. too bad, I didn't know back then what I know now, before the warranty ran out.

0 Kudos