williamkidd
2 Iron

Re: My PC won't Update Windows

That's one of the reasons that I like the Dell Forums. There are a lot of knowledgeable people that volunteer their time to provide answers even after the warranty runs out. A lot of computer manufacturers don't have that type of resource.

Are you running the Windows that came with your system? If so, did you have any problems validating Windows at any time?

In Training at SpywareHammer Academy

Penny, everything is better with Bluetooth. - The Big Bang Theory

You can't believe everything that you read on the Internet. That's how World War I got started. - PS3 commercial

0 Kudos
jmwills
5 Osmium

If the issue has existed that long, quit beating your head against the wall.  Off load the data, and perform a clean install.

0 Kudos
rbwilcox
1 Nickel

how do you do that, off load the data and perform a clean install?
0 Kudos
rbwilcox
1 Nickel

yes I am running the windows that came with the system. As far as I know I haven't had to validate, but that doesn't mean anyone else in my household has.
0 Kudos
williamkidd
2 Iron

I considered that as a suggestion but usually I go with that as a last resort, especially if someone hasn't performed an OS reinstall (or Image Restore) before. In this case, I would try running the Microsoft Genuine Advantage diagnostics first and then seriously consider the Image Restore. That error code pops up a lot in reference to the MGA.

You can't believe everything that you read on the Internet. That's how World War I got started. - PS3 commercial

0 Kudos
williamkidd
2 Iron

Are you running multiple profiles on your system, RB? And are you logged on under an Administrator profile? If not, that may keep you from updating or am I wrong about this, JM?

0 Kudos
williamkidd
2 Iron

What JM is saying is that you will have to backup all of your data such as e-mail, documents, spreadsheets, music, etc. that you've created onto some type of backup media/device (i.e. external hard drive, USB flash drive, writeable CD or DVD) and then perform what's called, in this case, a Dell PC Restore (p. 74 of your Owner's Manual). You don't have to backup any applications that you've installed as long as you have the installation CD/DVD or if you downloaded them online (it's usually best to redownload those). The PC Restore reformats (clears) your hard drive and then reinstalls the operating system (Windows) and anything else back to the state that it was in when you received it.

0 Kudos
rbwilcox
1 Nickel

yes i have multiple profiles, one for my spouse, myself, and kids which is under parental control. my spouses and myself both have administrative rights.  He doesn't touch anything, he doesn't download, upload anything.  If there is a problem with the computer I am the one who deals with it. He checks his e-mails, myspace, and browses for a little while and he's done.

I have a bit more computer knowledge them him. but these error codes and failure to update have me totally stumped,  I usually research and find the solution. But this is causing me grief because I'm beginning to think it's effecting my computer performance.  I do have to separate firewalls, that of Windows and another I subscribed to, I have disabled the Windows hoping that this problem would desist, but no luck. I had Windows first and realized that was not working properly so I am trying another.

0 Kudos
rbwilcox
1 Nickel

I've heard of that but my question is would  I have to re-install everything on my computer, i.e. printer, computer protections such as firewall, spyware/adware protection, virus detection?
0 Kudos
jmwills
5 Osmium

Copy the data you wish to keep to CD's, DVD's, or a portable hard drive and then reinstall Windows from these instructions:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
http://willsit.com

Driver Installation:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=1A0C0937...

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&dn=...

To find and download the drivers for your system, scroll down the page on click on
"Drivers and Downloads". Then enter your Service Tag or model number of your computer.
Select your operating system and then download the drivers that you need.

Two firewalls cause more issues than you think unless you have expert experience.  The greatest threat to your computer is the perosn who holds the mouse.  If you have a router and have secured it with a strong password, the basic Windows firewall is more than sufficient along with a good AV  program.

0 Kudos