Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2006 18:00

My XP-PRO Admin userid giving msg,"You dont have suffnt Admin Priv to change setting".

My Admin userid in XP-Pro is giving msg,"You dont have sufficient Admin Priv to change this settings" when I try to change any settings in MSCONFIG though it accepts the change. I was fine with this so far (happening for the past 2 months, dunno why) but now I cannot even change my default media Player from WMP to iTunes. It gives the above err msg & doesnot allow me to make the change. Any thoughts pls, why it is happening and how to fix it ?? I checked local security policy in Administrative Tools, didnot get much info in it. Let me emphasize, my userid in an Administrator into this laptop - Thanx in advance - subhro

12K Posts

December 12th, 2006 05:00

Sounds like a corrupt profile more than anything else.  Create another user account wiht Admin rihgts and see if you can do what you need.  If so, begin to migrate your files to the new account.

20 Posts

December 12th, 2006 17:00

Well, creating a new profile didnot help me. The new profile also have the same exact problem. Can this be a problem with any services being disabled ?????? or any other idea ???

12K Posts

December 12th, 2006 18:00

Sounds like spyware to me now.  How long has it been since you scanned?

20 Posts

December 12th, 2006 19:00

Well I doubt it to be a spyware because, I have a good protection in my laptop through McAfee Security Centre which scans my Laptop once a day and it has a spyware guard also. Also I have installed Windows Defender which also scans regularly and has also scanned the system as of yesterday (scan came out clean). This seems likely due to some registry change or some service shutdown without my knowledge. FYI, I re-installed IE7 2-3 months ago without knowing that it is incompatible with McAfee, called McAfee & was directed to uninstall it and back to IE6 since then.. After that probably this prob started. Any thoughts now ????

12K Posts

December 13th, 2006 01:00

Don't know why you say that IE7 and Mcafee don't play well together, becasue I have both and they work fine.  Registry could be the issue.

Get your XP dsic and put it in the try.

From a run command type:

sfc /scannow     This will repair/replace any corrupt System Files.

20 Posts

December 13th, 2006 14:00

Okie. I ran sfc /scannow & the results came out clean too.. No prob on that. Still the issue is unresolved.
And both DELL (I have a Inspiron laptop) and McAfee customer support told me in Aug that IE7 and McAfee Security Centre are incompatible (not McAfee AV) at that time. Dunno if MS / McAfee fixed the prob with updates/patches.

12K Posts

December 13th, 2006 14:00

I would not expect Microsoft to release a patch to fix a Mcaffee issue.
No Events found!