Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2009 14:00

My dell downloads - "Service Tag not Supported.".

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Dell Studio XPS 16, I was increadibly happy with the system but there was only 1 problem..Windows Vista..

I decided ti install Windows 7 Ultimate with a fresh install.

While installing the drivers I found a piece of paper with a link to a dell site where I would be able to download all the bloatware the was formally installed when revieving the PC with windows Vista but no success.....

Every time I registrer my PC it tells me "Service Tag not Supported."

What can I do?????

Thank you.

Kevin.

12.7K Posts

November 13th, 2009 07:00

I would be able to download all the bloatware the was formally installed when revieving the PC with windows Vista

Dell has never provided that type of download, only drivers and a very few applications for any system.

XPS 1640 or 1645?

2.6K Posts

November 13th, 2009 08:00

Mombodog -  "My Dell Downloads"  seems to be a new feature.   From the FAQ:

"My Dell Downloads contains certain software titles that are installed on your system at time of purchase. My Dell Downloads allows you to access and download the software titles to your hard drive. You can choose to either re-install it or create a backup copy to an external storage device (e.g. DVD or USB Key)."

https://smartsource.dell.com/Web/Welcome.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fweb%2fmain.aspx

As to why it's not recognizing the service tag  -  can only guess it's the same kind of problem others have reported with similar things like the Win7 upgrade.  Sometimes the tags take a while to get registered for a new system, or if it was bought retail it wasn't registered with Dell, or there's just a glitch and have to call Dell to get the tag working correctly.

12.7K Posts

November 13th, 2009 09:00

Thanks Alexandra_P

A new feature I was not aware of..

12.7K Posts

November 13th, 2009 14:00

You go Girl!

November 13th, 2009 14:00

KACLR - If you can send me your Service Tag, System Type and OS in a Private Conversation, I can verify your eligibility to Win7 and get the registration site working for you.

Hope this helps, Mandy @ Dell

1 Message

February 5th, 2010 17:00

I have a very similar problem.  I bought a dell studio for christmas with windows 7.  I only now tried to use the my dell downloads to download the pre-installed software to create backup cd/dvd's.  I click on the license agreement, then click the register your system button that appears, but never see anything else.  I did have to click to allow the software to run/install at the top of the browser window. 

????

Thanks for any help,

Danny

March 3rd, 2010 19:00

I have the same problem. Service tag not supported. Service tag is , Dimension E520. I have the Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista Business Express Upgrade CD and the Vista upgrade assistant DVD. Just not the original XP Professional Restore CD. Had to replace the hard drive. The one it came with went bad, really bad. Any help would be appreciated.

<ADMIN NOTE : Service Tag removed per privacy policy>

1 Message

April 21st, 2011 08:00

Are you still able to help if we send you our Service tag? I am having the same issue.

7 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 12:00

same issue here..never got any drivers cd with my laptop..came here and tried to download all the drivers using the my dell download thingy..but it said my service tag is not supported and refused to continue!!

12.7K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 13:00

Please post your full model number and OS and bit version

7 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 03:00

inspiron n4010 14r; windows 7 ultimate;64 bit;

12.7K Posts

August 3rd, 2011 06:00

Download them from this page.   support.dell.com/.../driverslist.aspx

Use your browser to download, not the Dell download manager

12.7K Posts

August 3rd, 2011 07:00

Use device manager to manually install the webcam driver, Open Device Manager, right click on the unknown image device and select "Update Driver" then "Browse my computer for driver software", then "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" then click the "Have Disk" button, then click the "browse" button, browse to "C:\Windows\inf" folder and find "usbvideo.inf" and select it , then hit OK, drivers should load.

7 Posts

thanks..but the list doesn't feature any drivers for my webcam? what do i do about that?

7 Posts

done. but i cant figure out how to use my webcam. sorry if i am almost laptop illiterate. :P

No Events found!