Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2009 15:00

Need Help with my Sloooow Computer please.....

Hi, I posted before, but not to the right place?! I have a dimension 8250 Win Xp home Pentium 4 256 MB Ram. The problem is everything about my system is slow. I mean it takes a good 2 1/2 minutes just for the shut down box to come up. I have done a disk clean up, a clean intstall of WinXP, I am not for sure what else to do. I was told before something about the fans?, but not for sure how to check them. I know a little about my system, but not alot of the lingo, so please talk to me in plain english:emotion-10:

Thanks in advance for any help

Katrina

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 15:00

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 16:00

Yes, I downloaded or redownloaded all of my drivers that I am aware of....

468 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 16:00

Here is a big thing that will help you.  A, if you can, buy a new computer.  Not saying that yours is ancient, but tech has doubled since yours was new.  If that is not in the books, the best way to get better performance on the hardware side, is to upgrade the ram.  Check the manual for the size and type needed, then surf around for some cheap sticks to put in.  Even with windows XP, you should have at least 512MB of RAM installed, if not 1 Gig, depending on what you do.  Its the cheapest investment you can do to your computer.

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 17:00

Thank you! Not exactally what I wanted to hear, but I almost knew that is what I needed. I guess, as far as surfing the net or things I could see that it would be a little slower...but as far as shutting my system down, I guess that is what has me puzzled. I have before looked around for RAM, and it is cheaper to buy a new system then it is to "upgrade" mine. Something to do with the type of RAM I need, it takes a double stick? I don't know, doesn't make much sense to me but that is what I have been told. Anyways thank you for your help :)

468 Posts

November 24th, 2009 08:00

Hello! You probably need to buy the RAM in pairs.. and if the RAM is old enough, it would be classified under a 'special buy' situation in which they would increase the price to more then its worth :-(  If you re-installed the OS and Drivers, hmmmmm.... the only thing i can think of is it has a lot to write to the drive and clear up before it shuts down.. I know my Dimension 3000 can take a little bit and its a little bit newer... anyway glad i could help a little :-)

No Events found!