Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2011 09:00

Need help with reinstalling Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop

I purchased this Dell Dimension 2400 desktop in 2003 as a wedding gift for my daughter and son-in-law.  They are busy and didn't use it a lot, but it just got to the point where it needed the OP reinstalled.  I have done this before on my computers so I offer to do it for them.  When my daughter went in to retrieve the disks that came with the PC there was no windows xp home edition op reinstallation disk included and I don't think I ever got one with the PC.  The other cd's were there.  I decided to try using the windows xp home edition op reinstallation disk from my Dell Dimension 2200.  I was told it was okay to do that when I spoke with a tech from Dell.  When it finished formatting and installing the op I found I could not get it to configure an internet connection.  In Device Manager, the Ethernet hardware have question marks by them and are highlighted in yellow even though I had put in the ResourceCD and downloaded that and everything on all the other disks right after installation.  If I could get it on the internet I could download the drivers and other things it needs for the other minor problems I am having with the too large icons, etc.  The only difference between the Dell Dimension 2400 and my Dell D 2200 is that the 2400 came internet ready from the factory and I added the ethernet card to my Dell Dimension 2200, Linksys.  Otherwise, they both use the same Broadband, Roadrunner, that is always on with cable modems.  What can I do now?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 10:00

The Product Key is the 25-character code on the sticker on the computer case.  Keys for Home Edition are not compatible with other editions (Pro, Media Center, etc.)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 19th, 2011 10:00

Download them on any computer using those links, put them on a CD or USB flash drive, copy them to the 2400, then run/install them there.

The processor is irrelevant to this process.  Are you talking about the video?  You would either be using the onboard Intel graphics or an add-in ATI graphics card.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

As ieee eluded to, you need to install drivers for all devices that XP doesn't recognizes (and in comparison with modern OS's like Windows 7, that means installing a LOT of drivers).

Normally, the chipset should be the first driver you install.  On Dells, the System Software should come before the chipset, but since this system does not have System Software, start with the chipset:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R47822&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=3268&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=27&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=56457

Then the other devices.

Audio:

Network:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R64645&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=3597&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=5&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=84196

Modem (if Conexant - if Intel, you will need a different one):

Video (choose the one that you have in your system - if you have questions, go to Device Manager, right click on your display device, Properties, Details tab, change dropdown to Hardware Ids, and give us the VEN and DEV ID's):

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&catid=6&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

12 Posts

Are all the Installations in the link available on the CDs I received with the Dell Dimension 2400?  I don't have access to the internet with the Dimension 2400 to download anything at this point. Thanks

12 Posts

The Dell Dimension 2400 has an Intel processer.

12 Posts

October 19th, 2011 11:00

Sorry, thought you meant the processor.  Thank you so much for this info.  I will try this and get back to you.  It may take me a few days.  Thanks again.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 19th, 2011 11:00

Good luck.

12 Posts

October 22nd, 2011 12:00

Hi theflash1932 -

I successfuly installed the first three in the order you gave, the Chipset, then the Audio and Network. I am configured for the internet now.  

When I went to install the 4th device, the Modem,it unzips the files but then nothing happens, so don't know if it installed. The Modem on the Dimension 2400 is a BCM V.90 56K, so I am waiting to see if there is something else I need to download for that before I try installing the Video.

Regarding the Video download instructions you sent, there is no Display listed in Device Manager, I think it's usually listed between Disk Drives and DVD/CD Rom drivers? It is nowhere on the list.

There are only 2 items listed under the other devices that are highlighted yellow with question marks now, where there were 5 before, they are -

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2011 13:00

The modem driver should automatically try to run after being unzipped.  However, if it does not, then browse to the unzipped folder and run HXFSetup.exe (default - C:\dell\drivers\R73044\HXFSetup.exe).

Ok ... go ahead and get the VEN and DEV ID's for the VGA controller then.

The USB controller driver on the system is "usually" found in the OS itself - occasionally found or enhanced by the chipset drivers.  I don't see any other downloads for your system that would be for a separate controller.  Do you have a USB card installed in one of the motheboard slots?  Do you have a USB hub attached - could be a USB device with additional USB ports on it - even a monitor with USB ports on it?

6.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2011 14:00

Please pardon the intrusion, but I have a bit of info that might help.  The Dimension 2400's I ordered in November, 2003, were shipped with a disk for Windows XP Home with Service Pack 1a, a disk with the drivers and utilities, a separate disk with drivers and utilities for the modem, and disks for the Dell and other software ordered with the computer.

USB 2.0 was still relatively new at the time and Windows required a supporting file for USB 2.0 that I found on the Utilities and Drivers disk.  I installed that driver following the chipset driver whenever I performed a reinstallation until Service Pack 2 for Windows XP was released.  If your installation disk for Windows XP includes Service Pack 2 there is no reason you should have an indication of missing driver for the USB controller.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2011 15:00

Good call JS ... I should have though of that, given the age of the system :)

Running through the various updates on Microsoft's update site (http://microsoft.com/update) will bring you up to speed and should take care of the USB entry in Device Manager.

12 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 07:00

That was the problem I mentioned initially was that disk was not included or lost, but they kept all the disks that came with the Dimension 2400 in a cabinet and those had never been opened.  When I went to reinstall the Windows XP Home with SP1a was not there.  I called Dell about a replacement, the person I spoke with didn't have any idea.  I asked him if I could use the OP reinstallation disk from the Dell Dimension 2200 I bought in 2002 and he said that would work.  

The VEN and DEV ID's are not there for the VGA Controller under device manager. I was going to see if I could find them on one of the disks I did get with the 2400, but now I noticed the 2400 only has a 40 GB hard drive!  They upgraded the RAM to 2048 but they never upgraded the HD.  I offered to upgrade the HD for them; so I will be starting all over.  

On looking at Dell I noticed they sell HD's for the Dell Dimension 2400 up to 320GB. Can you put in an HD that big in the Dimension 2400?  

Do you know where I could find a copy of the Windows XP Home with Service pack 1a you mentioned or could I just install a new Windows XP Home Edition CD. I don't know if they're still available?  

Thanks for all your help. I didn't get the first reinstall done, but it's still a learning experience.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 09:00

You don't need to reinstall for support for USB ... you only need to do the Windows Updates through at least SP2.  However, if you are planning to reinstall and want SP2 on at the time of installation (again, you don't need to - you can update post-installation), then you can use nLiteOS.com to integrate the service pack into your XP files - as part of this process, it will create a new CD from which to install.

JS might be better able to tell you if the 2400 will support drives over 137GB, but I would imagine it would be no problem.  None of the BIOS updates mention drive size support, so you should be fine.  Depending on what they are planning to store on the disk, you may not even need to upgrade the drive.  40GB (unless you are storing lots of large files like pictures, music, or video) is oodles of space to maintain a basic XP installation.

12 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 09:00

I didn't mention that I tried several times to update after getting the internet configured by doing a windows update or going to the microsoft site, but I was having a lot of trouble with the browser, getting error messages, freezing and shutting down.  I could go to some websites with no problem, but had the most trouble with microsoft and getting updates, so I was not able to.  

No Events found!