Highlighted
jljunk
1 Copper

Need reinstall after hard drive failure (UK customer)

I am a UK customer.

I have a dell studio 1749

Had a hard drive failure and want to restore to factory.

I cannot create recovery media as the data safe software won't offer the option due to a problem in the recovery partition.

This is due I think to when I copied the hard drive there were faults in that partition and it didn't copy properly.

I downloaded a vanilla Win 7 Home Premium 64 install from Microsoft but needed a license key to activate it.

The license on my laptop is an OEM one and windows activation is only giving me 30 days to supply a valid license.

Can I either obtain a license key for my laptop OR a copy of the recovery media I can use to restore the laptop to factory?

Or are there other options?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Re: Need reinstall after hard drive failure (UK customer)

You can call support to obtain a Dell OEM installation DVD, where the Product Key will not be needed for activation.

Or, you can activate Windows using the "vanilla" Windows you installed, but you will need to activate by phone (with Microsoft, not Dell).

Nobody can provide a replacement Product Key.

0 Kudos

Re: Need reinstall after hard drive failure (UK customer)

Hi jljunk,

Kindly provide the system service tag through a private message. I will see what best I can do.

To send the system service tag through a private message, click on my Forum username and then click Start conversation.

Thanks and Regards
Harish M
#iworkfordell

To learn more about Dell Products, Services, and Drivers, click Here
0 Kudos