Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2011 12:00

Need some help on installing Win XP on a Dell Inspiron N5010

Hello all. I'm new to this Dell forum so I hope that I write in the correct section. I bought a Dell Inspiron N5010 no OS was installed on the laptop and I didn't get a CD driver whit it just a DOS CD. Ok this was not a problem i had a Win 7 DVD and installed it got every driver. But now I wan to install Windows XP on it ( I don't really wan to say why XD ) But my Windows XP CD isn't working whit the laptop it's saying some error but when I installed it on my PC it works. Did some research and found a topic about how to install XP on Dell N5010 but it's outdated and not really understood and the 1st step wasn't really explained. So what I need:

1st Need a Win XP CD that works whit N5010, can be every Service Pack ( tell me if it's bootabel ISO or i have to make it bootable )

2nd that I need are Drivers : ( because I didn't found on the dell drivers ) ( I post what dell recommandes me )

- Audio Driver IDT 92HD79B1, v.6.10.0.6289, A03

- Chipset Intel HM57 Express Chipset Family, v.9.1.1.1025, A00

Realtek RTS5159 Card Reader, RTS5138 Card Reader, v.6.1.7600.30127, A01

Mouse & Keyboard Synaptics Synaptics TouchPad, v.15.0.0.1, A00

Network Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000, v.13.2.0.30, A00

Realtek RTL8103T Ethernet Controller, v.7.13.112.2010, A00

- Video Card AMD ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 / HD4200, ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 550v, v.8.742, A02 

So thees are the drivers I would need just for the Windows XP version if it's possible to be the most up to date version of the driver ? If I didn't write something that you need let me know. If you are not allowed to post here the links just write me in a Email Email id removed as per privacy policy >. Thank you in advance XD hope someone can help me in this I really wan to install Win XP on this laptop and to have the drivers.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 20th, 2011 14:00

Sorry, but I have a hard time understanding your posts, so I'm unclear what the exact problem is.  If the problem is that Windows can't find any hard drive(s) to install to, then it needs drivers.  There is no Dell CD out there that will have this driver on it (even SP3 media wouldn't have a Series-5 chipset driver on it).  

The driver you need to help XP see the drives is here (use x86 version):

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx

Switching SATA operation from AHCI/SATA to IDE/Compatibility is indeed a poor work-around and should be avoided in favor of the correct procedure (the right driver).  Since XP can only get drivers from a floppy disk at the F6 prompt during Windows Setup, and you likely don't have a floppy drive, you will need to use nLiteOS.com to integrate the storage driver into your XP installation media.

Why do you want XP on this machine anyway?  There is a very good chance that you won't find drivers for all the devices and/or you will have to suffer from limited system functionality (TurboBoost, multi-core, etc.).

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 21st, 2011 11:00

Copy the entire contents of your XP CD to a folder on your desktop, download the driver theflash1982 mentions here. If XP Pro or Home download the appropriate standalone service packs here. If Media Centre Edition don't bother. Download and install nlite. Select the folder you copied your XP disc to. Then click next, select service pack slipstream, slipstream the SP2 and SP3 if not already present. Close nlite, open it again, go back to the folder, slipstream some updates/hotfixes (optional) media player 11 (will require the media player 11 slipstreamer to be installed in the same folder as nlite can be downloaded here). On the driver slipstream select the driver theflash1982 mentions. Change some tweaks etc. in nlite. Finally create a bootable .iso, burn it to CD or DVD. Use this to install Windows XP.

5 Posts

Yep i saw that thing but it has a problem it will slow the laptop very much if i change sata to ide but dunno I will try tomorrow but yes the drivers are a little problematic

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Drivers are going to be problematic however.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Yeah better to do it the way theflash recommends or stick with 7.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

I think you can change it back after installing XP.

Although having XP with limited drivers will slow the laptop down. Also if you use the more stable version (32 bit) you are also limiting your RAM.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

I think there is a hard drive setting you need to change in the BIOs. Changing the AHCI mode from SATA to IDE in the BIOS I believe. Then it should read the disc.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

You can change to AHCI after the fact, but it requires a registry hack and there is a pretty high failure rate after making the change. I'd recommend doing it the right way from the beginning.

5 Posts

September 21st, 2011 06:00

Ok so can someone make a step by step  post from making the XP cd in the correct way and till Windows XP is installed i will try to find the drivers but if someone knows where can find the drivers post it :)

5 Posts

September 23rd, 2011 06:00

Thanks all of you I have Windows XP on my Dell now :P

5 Posts

I just googled the drivers exact name and found them :) thx for helping me install XP

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

And what about the drivers?

2 Posts

October 30th, 2011 05:00

hi

Can you help me out with the keyboard and mousepad drivers? Only thing not working for me...

Cheers

1 Message

March 29th, 2012 07:00

PLEASE HELP ME TO INSTALL XP PRO ON MY NEW INSPIRON N5010 STEP BY STEP GUIDE LINES

No Events found!