Highlighted
hardysofty
Copper

Need to RE-INSTALL Windows 8 - but Media and Product Key is not provided by DELL!!!

How could I possibly re-install Windows 8 on my brand new DELL Inspiron 660 desktop PC which came with a pre-installed Windows 8?

The DELL "System Recovery Media" seems to be nothing more but a disk-image (plus a restore tool) of my hard disk which could be copied back (automatically) to (a similar sized!) disk in case of a disaster. But it will NOT allow for the re-installation of Windows 8!

This will NOT allow  for the installation of Windows 8 on e.g. a smaller disk (like my 128GB SSD)!
This will NOT allow  for a fresh, clean installation according to my needs and without the bloatware which comes pre-installed!

I think this is really annoying and completely inacceptable.

Or do I miss some trivial trick here?
Any hint is most welcome!

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Philip_Yip
Diamond

Re: Need to RE-INSTALL Windows 8 - but Media and Product Key is not provided by DELL!!!

Its something I have been trying to look up on.

Dell/Microsoft have went through this annoying OEM Media reduction and Dell suggest you use Dell DataSafe which you I have seen over the past couple of years for Vista/7 is completely useless and you have just demonstrated its limitations in Windows 8.

For Windows 7 you could request a Dell Reinstallation DVD by phoning technical support, I assume the case should be the same with Windows 8 but I'm not certain. I see you are from Germany. The German Technical Support Number is +49 (0) 69 9792 7200.

Please let me know the results of this and if you are charged for the media.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos

Re: Need to RE-INSTALL Windows 8 - but Media and Product Key is not provided by DELL!!!

Hi hardysofty,

You can contact our Technical Support Team and request for the Windows 8 installation disk to perform a clean reinstallation. The Product Key is embedded into the BIOS. The Windows installation will check the BIOS for the Product Key during installation.

Please reply to this message if you need further information.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

0 Kudos
Roland63
Copper

I called about same issue but for windows 7 as my Inspiron keeps crashing but they said it would cost $60 to get the O/S I purchased on hard media ?$#  Doesn't seem right.

Roland

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
Diamond

it would cost $60 to get the O/S I purchased on hard media ?$#  Doesn't seem right.

Definitely doesn't. Smiley Sad

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
Diamond

Especially when you can download Windows 8 Professional and get a license and a .iso file for $39.99 or buy the license and DVD for $69.99. Would of been cheaper purchasing a Dell with Windows 7 and Upgrading

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
sugarbear18
Diamond

You can contact our Technical Support Team and request for the Windows 8 installation disk to perform a clean reinstallation. The Product Key is embedded into the BIOS. The Windows installation will check the BIOS for the Product Key during installation.

Please reply to this message if you need further information.

My question to you:

What happens when you flash the bios and it crashes and your MB is dead. If the product key is embedded on the bios, it is now gone. What is Dell going to do to take care of this problem? And what about after the warranty is out?

Teddi

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
Diamond

I made a poll and an IdeaStorm post with regards to the reinstallation dvd case, please vote so people can get it easier

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19476992.aspx

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
accash
Copper

Hi DELL-RAJATH N, I have by mistake removed Windows 8 that came preinstalled with my Dell laptop.How do I reinstall it?

I called Dell and they said that I will have to buy a Windows 8 software without the license as the license is embedded into my system.Is that correct?

If yes please do tell me from to get this I mean just software because I searched over net and there weren't any useful results.

0 Kudos
rmach89
Copper

Go To The Right Side of Your Screen

hit Search

Type in "Use Similar settings for all Pc's you Use"

Click it

Pc Settings Window Will Show up

Then Click General Scroll To Bottom of page

Now You have 3 types of Installs you can do

1) refresh Install (will redo windows but leave all documents and Photos And other personal files)

2) Remove Everything Install. (Exactly what it says Restore the computer from day one.. (make sure you have the correct drivers downloaded and burned to a cd for this)

3) Advanced Setup (restore from imx file or usb device ext)

From the Sounds of it you want option 2 Enjoy hope its helps..

0 Kudos